Adobe Reader

Discussion in 'Applications' started by caparica007, Sep 27, 2013.

1. caparica007

caparica007 Member

Any good suggestions for an alternative to the Adobe Reader? I think the Adobe Reader is OK to read PDFs, but one thing that really annoys me is that they are always asking for updates. I don't know why they are always asking for the updates, but this is not user-friendly!

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

No, I haven't found any alternatives. You could always just turn the notifications for updates off though.

caparica007 likes this.
  3. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

4. caparica007

caparica007 Member

Ah, disable the updates, why haven't I thought about it before! :D Thanks. ;)

I have heard about Foxit Reader, but never really tried it, I'll take a look, thanks! ;)

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

Personally I have been using this software for years since Adobe became a heavy load app back with version 3 or something.

However I use Foxit Reader version 1.3 because this was the last version that came with editing capability for free,
    http://www.oldapps.com/foxit_reader.php?old_foxit_reader=5

I also use Sumatra, but as PDF reader addon for Total Commander, my favorite file manager. Sumatra can be downloaded as a stand-alone app though, http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/download-free-pdf-viewer.html

6. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

As alternative for Adobe Reader I like the Sumatra PDF reader. It is pretty lightweight and so there's almost no load time and it doesn't use much of the system's resources.

Now, it is far from being a real alternative because there might be some advanced features of Adobe Reader missing on Sumatra but if you just want to read PDF I say go with Sumatra.

7. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

Personally I think I would stick with Adobe going with any 3rd party PDF you rick getting a virus or something I am sure you can turn the updates off if it bothers you that much.

8. TheViper

TheViper Member

The ask for updates because their me be something that is major happening. I would rather a company release daily updates then to have one that barely does one a year. Adobe is the safest and best option for you to use as a pdf reader. If you don't want to update then just click cancel.

9. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

Adobe updates are really annoying, and not only the ones for the adobe reader but also for the flash player.

I don't think there's risk of getting a virus if you download a third party software from a safe source (e.g. the official site).

10. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

Now, with Windows 8, PDF documents are opened with a click, but due to the new metro screen I'm not sure if this is the old Adobe reader but with a new face and much faster.

However it's still as useless as before, hence I'm still using my old PDF readers as an alternative.

11. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

There are so many alternatives but I will go for Foxit Reader. If you get Foxit Phantom the better. There is so much you can do with Foxit Phantom that Adobe reader can not do. E.g. you can edit your PDF and a watermark picture among other options. In addition, Foxit takes less memory of your PC as compared to Adobe Reader.

12. TheViper

TheViper Member

You also have the option to use online pdf readers. You don't even need to download a program anymore.