Android Life Battery Tips

Discussion in 'Android' started by MyDigitalpoint, Nov 27, 2013.

1. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I don't know about you, but I'm always concerned about life battery on my mobile devices, but multimedia and games tend to eat up too much of it, hence the need to optimize its performance for longer periods of fun.

Here are some tips to
    • Shut down running apps when not in use such as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and GPS services. When you need GPS back on to use Google Maps for example, you can toggle it on or just open the app, which will prompt you to turn it back on.
    • A significant increase in battery life can be obtained by toggling these functions off.
    • Try another battery widget from the Android Market.
    • Try a task killer application from the Market: this will kill running apps that you don’t need in the background.
    • See what applications are using the bulk of your battery power and uninstall if not used or close when not used.
    • Most often it’s the Display, so set your screen brightness as dim as you can stand it.
    • See also John Kinsella’s post on the Ipad blog: http://blogs.stthomas.edu/ipad/2011/02/07/how-to-maximize-battery-life/. Though it’s addressing Ipads, most of the advice is relevant for any mobile device.
    Source: John Heintz at the University of St. Thomas

2. Symthic

Symthic Member

Another option if you have a rooted device: Download and install SetCPU ($1.99) and play with some settings. You can drastically underclock your CPU whenever you don't need to use it. I currently have it set to underclock my CPU to 30% power when the screen is off, but you can also have it change the clock whenever the battery hits a certain power percentage, after the battery hits a certain temperature, while you are in a phone call, during certain time periods, and while your phone is charging.

3. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

Juice Defender is a great app for managing your battery life - even the free version works very well. The only drawback with using it, is that it only checks for emails every 15 minutes I believe - so if you are waiting for something important to come through and you need it right away you have to temporarily disable it.

Also, I recently started using Rdio and Spotify again on my Android phone since they announced you can stream for free on there. However much like their desktop counterparts, the apps don't seem to have an "exit" or "close" feature, and they continue to run in the background after you stop using them. I had to go into my system settings for force them to stop (which is really annoying). I know that Spotify desktop purposefully stays running in the background of your computer because it uses your connection kind of like a torrent app, to help deliver media to other Spotify users. It may be possible the mobile versions are doing the same thing, which is a waste of battery life and data.

4. 7zer0z

7zer0z New Member

I find that setting the brightness down helps a LOT if you use your phone for long periods of time. If I know I won't be using my phone for a while, at school or work for example, I will put it on airplane mode and the battery will only drop 1 or 2 percent over 8 hours. If you don't want to use airplane mode in case of an emergency, using wifi where it available will also help to save on battery life as opposed to 3G/4G which can drain battery very fast.

5. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Member

The battery life leaves a lot to be desired on these devices especially if you have a data plan attached to the particular network. I find that i have to be charging my phone too often for a new device and it is a bit frustrating. The experience that i have with other devices is that the app load impacts battery life but still i was able to go at least a day without charging.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

Yeah, battery life is the main problem of my Samsung S3. In fact, the battery got bloated last year and that overheated battery had affected the mother board. It was a good thing that the tech was able to repair the mother board and we replaced the battery with an expensive brand. Now it is working all right. But then again, I am looking for ways to make the battery life last longer.

7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I remember how the battery of my first smartphone was about to exploit, despite I had installed a power saving app.

It was an HTC Excalibur, so many years have passed since, and this wasn't an Android device but Windows Mobile. However, while modern processors can handle battery-demanding apps much better, I still believe that the key factor is in the use that we give it.

In example, I used to improve battery's life by turning off the phone by night, but I can't longer do it because my family my call anytime. Even though, I make sure that multimedia apps are closed and Wi-Fi turned off before going to sleep.