Apple TV thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac' started by Wolfi, May 24, 2013.

1. Wolfi

Wolfi The Pack~

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I don't have any experience with it but I was thinking of buying it at one point in time and decided not to. Reason being was that I heard it was really locked down and that turned me off quick. Should of expected that though since it was Apple.

3. Asparagus

Asparagus New Member

I've got one. It depends on what you want it for. If you say you're not typically an Apple person I wouldn't recommend it. The only advantage it has over products like it is the airplay. Airplay works really well, but of course it's wasted on you if you don't have any apple products. So, I'd recommend something like Roku or WDTV.

4. daenerys

daenerys Member

I don't have one, I use a Mac mini with Plex running on it as my media center. But that's a pretty expensive setup, I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. I think the most compelling feature of the AppleTV is the ability to AirPlay another device's screen to your TV (iPhone, iPad, MacBook, etc.) Also, if you buy a lot of shows and movies on iTunes, it's probably a good product for you. But if you think you'll mostly just being using it for Netflix, I think Rokus have cheaper options.

5. Nabs Hamid

Nabs Hamid Member

I never had it, but I'm sure it'd be great. Most Apple products are great :)
    I may purchase one if I hear good reviews on it.

6. quark

quark New Member

As Asparagus said you shouldn't go for a Apple TV, if you're not a typical apple customer. You're simply wasting money on features you can't use, would suck having a Android phone with a Apple TV. I'd recommend a Roku it basically have the same features as the Apple TV, but a lot cheaper I think it's $50 for the lite version and $60 for the HD version.

Apple products is good quality, but also overpriced. In my opinion Apple is starting to loose their touch after Steve Jobs died.

7. daenerys

daenerys Member

I don't know about that, I think there are scenarios where it could be quite useful. If you have any sort of video and want to send it wirelessly from your Mac or Apple device to your TV there isn't a much better option for that, as far as I know. Plus, AppleTV has apps for Netflix and HBO Go and more.

8. debtheweb

debtheweb New Member

I love AppleTV. My boyfriend and I bought one together, we use it so much, we mirror our phone videos, we watch netflix, we subscribe to many different podcasts. Just the remote on it's own is adorable! I definitely recommend. 10/10

9. daenerys

daenerys Member

I love the Apple remote, especially the new redesigned silver one. I use it to control Plex on my Mac mini though, I don't have an Apple TV yet. I love the remote for it's simplicity, but my god, I lose that dang thing almost daily! It's so small and slim it's almost always down in a couch cushion or lost in a blanket on the couch somewhere! Sometimes it's under you and you can't even tell, haha. Seriously though, I prefer it to any other remote I've owned.

10. MissPotato

MissPotato New Member

Don't have one - in fact I'm not sure if it's available in the PH. Still, I think old fashioned cable TV does the job pretty well. Maybe there's a future for Apple TV, maybe not. Let's see.

11. ebby23

ebby23 New Member

I'm a fan of Apple products and recently became the owner of the Apple TV. It was easy to set up and is just as easy to function. When I brought the Apple TV, my main purpose was to use it to play movies from my macbook using the airplay mirroring option. I also use it to watch Netflix and Hulu. Overall, I love it and it's worth the price.

12. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

I personally don't like the Apple TV. The device is very restrictive about what it lets you do. The echo-system on the device is very closed. I would look for a more open Android alternative.

13. ColonelMustard

ColonelMustard New Member

I got my AppleTV as a present from my former employer.

I have loved it ever since, but I have changed my style of using it over the last two years.

I always used to just drag en drop films into iTunes and than turn to my AppleTV to find my newly added film in the list of older films. It's worked pretty well, but it wasn't a nice way of storing your film collection. That's what I changed. A friend of mine recommended iFlicks to me, a very simple piece of software that collects metadata for your files (like correct titles, correct artwork, synopsis etc.).

I absolutely love iFlicks, it's converts every mediafiles to .m4v in 2 minutes and it makes the library on my Apple TV look nice and organized.

14. soulite

soulite New Member

I love my AppleTV, especially when friends come over. Anytime I need to watch a movie I turn on my AppleTV and start streaming Netflix. It's also really helpful for when I want to show off a game I programmed. I just have to setup the wireless connection between my AppleTV and Macbook Pro and then I can stream my games for all to see.

15. Dez97

Dez97 New Member

I had no idea apple made tvs, this is crazy. Like are they taking over the world or what?.

16. musicmonster

musicmonster New Member

Yes they have been making it I think since 2011. I'm a huge Mac fan but I don't recommend it.

17. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

There are many cool smartphones with integrated TV, what makes me wonder if Apple TV is digital or analog, this latter the common among all of these mobiles devices, mainly manufactured in China.

Analog television is dead but just a very few countries in the process to shut it down, so if Apple TV is analog it doesn't worth the price as most Mac devices are truly costly.

I better got a small 7 inch High Definition television that works like a charm, being portable too.