Are Android devices as good as everyone makes out?

Discussion in 'Android' started by Sparkster, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

The reason I ask this question being because, so far, I have found Android tablet PC's and smartphones to be very inefficient and unreliable. Many websites are inaccessible on many Android devices and despite some websites having Android apps, even their apps don't work properly. With many of them you can't even sign in and the layouts don't show up properly on Android devices and you are unable to scroll to access menu or sign in buttons. I don't have a computer at the moment and am losing a bit chunk of my online income because of constant issues trying to access websites on Android even though some of them have apps (that don't work). Is Android really all that marvelous after all?

2. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Member

I've had an Android phone for ages now, and there are a lot of pros and cons of getting one. One advantage is there are a lot of free apps available and you can get an Android phone without having to spend too much. But for some reasons, my phone always lags and I don't like it. When it comes to this, I still prefer the iOS platform.

3. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

Yea, I do sometimes find that there is a lot of lag with Android. However, as I said I've never really used Apple products so obviously I would never have noticed the difference. I do have an iphone here though, which is for my daughter for Christmas.

4. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Member

I find that i have issue at times with blacking out of my smart phone when i try to use some of the installed apps. I guess it was surprising because i just went in expecting a lot from android and was surprised when i encountered this problem that occurs especially when it apply to certain games and other apps. It can be inconvenient as i find that i have to be reinstalling my device too often these days.

5. Morvack

Morvack New Member

I love android devices. If the apps don't work, that's on the site, not on the android operating system. Some sites are just not mobile friendly, be it Android, Windows or IOS. I am not sure what devices you are using, but my galaxy note two does its job well. I use it to read, post to forums, watch youtube, leave comments, all sorts of things. I will admit android has its flaws. Its spell check messes up on rare occasion, but when it does, it does so epically. Sometimes, when I get to the end of a chat box, it won't recognize me hitting space. Sometimes it will glitch with the position censors. I will have it sideways, it will glitch, thinking it's long ways, and it won't display right. I have been able to fix it every time. It's like anything, you have to take the bad with the good.

6. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

I've been using HTC devices mostly for the last few years but what you've stated is definitely true - many sites are just not mobile friendly. However, some apps don't have websites and were made purely for smartphones yet many of them still don't seem to work. Obviously, you're using Samsung and I think they are undoubtedly the best make of smartphone out there and are much less problematic than other make devices.

7. globulon

globulon New Member

In total, I've owned a couple of Android phones and one tablet. I was definitely satisfied with these products! As mentioned already, many sites just aren't mobile-friendly and contain lots of bugs so the problems you're facing may be on their end rather than because of the device. I have to admit though that my Android devices are more buggy and run less smoothly than my iPhone, but the flexibility of the Android system is a plus.

8. missbishi

missbishi Member

Another one here who suffers from Android lag. My mobile network is not known for it's lightning speeds either so it's not a great combination. The sheer amount of free apps is basically what makes me stick with it. Of course, Android tends to be used on the more affordable devices. I can't afford an iPhone right now so am stuck for the time being.

9. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

The one problem I'm really having with Android devices is finding a decent browser. I have noticed that some websites work well with some browsers, whereas they don't work well with others. This means I have to use different browsers to access different websites. There doesn't seem to be one browser that works with all of them.

10. User911

User911 New Member

It's the age old concept, "you get what you pay for". I find it really hard to justify the much larger expense of Apple products. I have an Android phone and a Android netbook. The quality of my phone is much better than the netbook so there are other factors to consider I guess besides whether it's an Android or not. I probably will never get Apple products unless I have a very big ship come in. :)

11. tipoywizard

tipoywizard New Member

I have an Android phone and tablet and I'm greatly impressed with my devices. The design and quality of the my devices are excellent plus it is very affordable. By the way I both my devices are manufactured by Samsung. The only problem I have is that my phone sometimes suddenly stops and feels very hot.

12. User911

User911 New Member

That's good to know about the manufacturer, Samsung. Next time I'm in the market for new devices, I will keep a look out for them. Thanks for the tip.

13. Beautyspin

Beautyspin New Member

I am using an Xperia Z1. I do not see any such lag or issues of websites not loading. Perhaps it is with the devices that you are using or the internet connection speeds you have? I also have an iPod and it loads websites worse compared to my Xperia. Since in my case I am using the same conditions for both, I can say Android devices are better. I do agree that on the whole operation the IOS device is easier (probably because they do not do too much) but that has been my experience.

14. User911

User911 New Member

Yep. I think the quality of the Android phone makes a difference. I keep hearing about Samsung and I think they are probably the best phone out there besides the iPhone. Next time around, I will have to cough up more money to get a quality phone. My cheap phone really drives me crazy sometimes...

15. mairj23

mairj23 Member

All of my Android phone were pretty good. At times I had some lag but nothing really too bad. Each company is constantly trying to improve and new innovations seem to come every year. Android has a lot of apps.

16. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

Nope, it's definitely not the internet connection (I've tried with 100-Mbps connection) and it's definitely not the specific make or models of the devices. I have now tested these issues on both iOS and Android on several different devices, including iPhone, Xperia, HTC and Samsung - none of those devices are satisfactory in all areas. Every single one of them has a compatiblity or functionality problem somewhere along the line meaning that I would not be able to use just one of those devices to do everything I wish to do.