Are there any free screen recorder programs for PC?

Discussion in 'Applications' started by lindbergh, May 19, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

I have some screen capture apps that come in handy when I'm writing a web article or creating content for my site. Now, I want to have a screen recorder that could record any activity that is happening on the screen. I want a free software though. Is there any?

2. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

Check out CamStudio. It is a free screen recorder for Windows.

3. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

I would like to vouch for Protojunkie's suggestion. CamStudio is a free decent screen recorder developed by Techsmith, which are the same guys who developed my favorite video-editor, Camtasia Studio.

You may also try the famous fraps. It has a trial version, but you may only record for 30 seconds, which is not good. In addition, it's a resource hog, so expect to have freezing for a bit if your computer is not that updated.

Good luck with your search!

4. fermlour

fermlour Member

Camtasia Studio is free? I had the idea that it was not free because when I was downloading had the idea that I had to enter a serial number, but that is the best!

5. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Yeah CamStudio is good. Not much functionality but gets the job done quickly.

6. mika

mika New Member

I believe hypercam and CamStudio are free and good, but if you want something great you should get Camtasia, you can try the demo version or if you want you can always download the torrent.

7. lindbergh

Ok, thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to download CamStudio later. Cnet offers a free download for the program right? I hope that there is no limit as to the duration of the video that could be recorded though because that would definitely suck.

8. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

You can download CamStudio right from the project's webpage at camstudio.org.

9. lindbergh

Hey there fellas, I did not go with CamStudio after all. I opted to grab Camtasia Studio 8 instead and it's actually pretty good! I like it. I find it to be a bit slow though when a lot of things are opened on my netbook but I cannot complain since it currently has everything that I need.

10. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Oh you are using a netbook! I just read your other post about having issues with speed.

I'm pretty sure that is your problem. :eek:

11. lindbergh

Lol. Sorry I forgot to mention in the other thread that I am using a netbook. But, it's that really the case? I'm able to play other games like Warcraft DotA on my netbook with just a little lag. Shouldn't Camtasia be able to capture an 8 bit game with no problems at all?

12. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

That could be the case. Netbooks really don't have a lot of power usually and if yours lags even with Warcraft DotA then it doesn't seem different. Screen-recording software can use a decent amount of resources too, so between the two, it might be a problem.

Still, as I mentioned in your other thread, I suggest you experiment with another piece of software to see if that does any better.

13. NiaIsabelle

NiaIsabelle New Member

There are bunch of screen recording software.I would personally recommend Camtasia Studio. I've been using it for quite a while now and it is amazing. It is a very good and easy to use software. You can download it through torrent or just search it online or you can buy it. It's very reliable and very easy to use. It has great features. There is also thing software called Fraps but I would say that Camtasia Studio is better and has more function.

14. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

Fraps is a good option. It does leave a watermark in your videos but the software is very reliable. I would recommend using it, I use it on a regular basis.