Best free AV?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Lenna, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Lenna

Lenna New Member

So there's a wide market of free, or even freemium anti-viruses out there for a new user to choose from, but what is regarded by the members of this board as being one of the best of these models? What companies offer the best product for a relatively inexperienced user, and then in turn, which offers the best for someone who likes fiddling with computers and knows their stuff?

2. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

I've tried both paid security programs and free security programs and to be honest, the paid ones (including top brand names) don't really seem to be any better. These days I just use free programs like Avast, AVG and ZoneAlarm. I will never use Norton again and I found McAfee to not be too bad, just very slow.

3. Jojo83

Jojo83 New Member

I just use free Avast with one year free subscription combined with Windows defender which is built in the OS. I set two accounts, one administrator and another standard account for Windows 7. I just use the administrator account for installing software and adjusting settings. I use the standard account as my main account and those two free antivirus and I never had any security problems.