Blocking torrents

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kai_uk, Dec 3, 2013.

1. kai_uk

kai_uk New Member

Bittorrent clients are one of the most destructive applications you can use on a network. It swallows all of the bandwidth causing the network to slow down for all other users. The traffic is encrypted to make it impossible to identify. Without a corporate firewall, how can you block torrents on your network?

2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I have never had trouble with torrents because in my own network, but I have suffered a ton with torrents when I have connected to others' networks.

Certainly those clients are pretty annoying and tend to connect to both the TCP and UDP ports making that pages don't load at all.

3. Linkzelda41

Linkzelda41 New Member

You could use a program called Malwarebytes. I’m not sure if it can be a reliable source for blocking every peer or seeder, but from previous experiences, it prevents connections from coming through. Other than that, you would probably have to use third party applications and software, buy antiviruses like Kaspersky or ESET, or shut off the internet connection completely.

I can understand how it can be annoying having those clients operate on your bandwidth. Especially when it may be content that would be copyright infringement, and you potentially receiving the backlash.

4. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Member

There are programs that keep the client for connecting and find peers - that is what happens at one of my friends works. Another thing you could do is throttle down the internet connection for every user to say 1 Mb/s or enough for their normal job but if they want to try and download a limit so that they don't hold back the whole network.

5. Annabell

Annabell New Member

It depends upon what scale your network is working on really. There's programs which are designed for smaller networks, but can't handle the larger ones. So is this for a work network, which I would assume is fairly substantial, or just for your own home?