Buying new laptop - Windows 7 or 8?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Qamra, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Qamra

Qamra New Member

Hi all,

I'm buying a new laptop and I'm not too sure which to choose.

I know it's easier to upgrade to Windows 8 than downgrade to Windows 7.

What are your thoughts?

2. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

Buying a laptop will depend on how much you are willing to spend. But it is advisable to consider more of performance other than the price. Chose a laptop that will able to run Windows 8 with a lot of ease, there you will enjoy the operating system capabilities.

3. BCH

BCH New Member

If you can get something with Windows 7 then I would do, but that's just my personal opinion. I'm starting to get a bit concerned about what I will do when Windows 7 becomes outdated because I really don't like this move away from the desktop, but maybe that's fine with you so it is something worth considering.

4. Qamra

Qamra New Member

I went for windows 7 as windows 8 seems absolutely useless. I just don't see the point of getting it if I don't have a touch screen...
    I might get an upgrade if they improve the system. I'd rather wait for next windows though...

5. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

At this point I would probably just stick it out with Windows 8, knowing the upcoming releases are going to address a lot of people's complaints with the initial version that came to market. While you may be inclined to go back to Windows 7, computers and operating systems are changing at a much faster pace these days than previously, and it could ultimately become more of a problem trying to upgrade from Windows 7 in the future.

6. Haleigh

Haleigh New Member

My advice to you is to only go with Windows 8 if you are buying a touch laptop. It is very, very confusing to use if you are just trying to use it on a normal computer.

7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

New, but really new laptops come already with Windows 8 installed.

If you find any with Windows 7, this is not a new computer, let me explain.

While it's technically new, the fact is that computers with Windows 7 are probably one step behind actual technology.

Windows 8 was released over a year ago and you know technology evolves quickly, so there is not any good reason to make manufacturers of new computers choose Windows 7 for their products, but only for those who were already in stock and couldn't be sold before Windows 8 came into scene.

8. Aditya Kulkarni

Aditya Kulkarni New Member

I will recommend Windows 8.
    You have mentioned you want a laptop, but did not really mention what will be your use! ;)

As far as Windows 8 is concerned, for personal use, it is really a fantastic operating system. You might take some time to get your hands stretched on the same. The way it uses RAM and optimizes the processes is something which is very good.

If you are willing to go for some applications which have compatibility issues, Windows 7 will be best suited for you!

9. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Member

I personally prefer Windows 7 over Windows 8 and when I purchased my new laptop and had the option I picked Windows 7.

I personally disagree with MyDigitalpoint where he says that computers with Windows 7 are probably one step behind in actual technology. My Windows 7 laptop has a Nvidia 765m + 16gb of ram and a 1920*1080 display, I don't consider that a step behind in technology.

10. skywatcher

skywatcher New Member

I think you should go with Windows 7 first because I think it will be too much of a hassle to wait for updates on Windows 8 if you experience issues. I guess if the current version of Windows 8 has dealt with the issues people keep on complaining about, then I guess it's about time for you to upgrade to Windows 8. But this aside, I personally prefer Windows 7 to be installed first, and then upgrading.

11. Chris_A

Chris_A New Member

I think you should go with Windows 7. It is safe, secure and has received a lot of features and updates over the years. Windows 8 is too new yet, and in my opinion, the lesser OS of the two.