Cheapest Hosting You Bought?

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by TheViper, Nov 26, 2013.

1. TheViper

TheViper Member

I've owned a lot of sites and put them on some cheap hosting. There are tons of free hosting sites out there that perform horrible. Then there are those cheap hosting sites that only cost a buck to get you rolling.

What was the cheapest hosting(not free) that you've bought?

2. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

The cheapest hosting I have bought is DreamHost back in 2009. I got once a two year deal with them for about $20 and it came with a free domain name for those two years. In the end I didn't renew the service because I barely used the hosting but it was a pretty good deal.

It was some day between christmas 2009 and new year's eve 2010. I don't know if DreamHost is still having that kind of crazy but I think it's worth to visit their site and see what they are offering.

3. TheViper

TheViper Member

There use to be great deals pertaining hosting "back in the day". I remember getting a free domain, free whois protection, and free hosting for six months. I only wish that I was smart enough back then to utilize that deal and not just make silly sites.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I got one year free hosting from Dreamhost by the time of Registerfly debacle. If you can't remember it, Registerfly was a domain registrar, direct competitor to GoDaddy then. They feel into a huge management problem and everybody had to migrate domain names before the company would lose them if not already.

Dreamhost offered a whole year free with the condition to move my Registerfly domains to their own registrar service. Good deal and great hosting, but sadly couldn't pay for the second year.

Other cheap hosting deals I bought in the past included both small-companies and large companies including Yahoo, Netfirms and Dotster.

I got one year hosting for a total of $1.99, $9, and $10 respectively .

From small companies, the cheapest was 25 cents per month in my early internet days for the "astonishing" amount of 10MB webspace. Later found a 75 cents hosting that proved to be a good one, the company does not longer exist though, and I tried a few other selling hosting for one buck a month.

Other good deals came from hosting forums where members offered regular hosting packages with a lifetime monthly discount of 50% or more.