Cleaning your pc/laptop, back to it's original speed.

Discussion in 'Windows' started by outdoorgal, May 22, 2014.

1. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Member

I read an article a couple of days ago, about how your pc/laptop runs so fast when you first get it. How true, hadn't really thought about it. But over time, and surfing the internet, adding free programs (I'm notorious for trying out free software) but all these add junk to my laptop. I know to use Malwarebytes, Super-anti spyware, and I am using Avast (had AVG) so wanted to try out Avast.

I've spent going on two days, cleaning up my startup programs, and, my Programs & features list. What a job! I don't remember half of what those are, so I do a "side by side " screen-view of two windows, one with the list, and one where I can google search files/programs I don't know what they are.

Any comment or ideas on how to get my laptop back to, well, as close as possible, to factory speeds? Without having to delete the programs I use. What do others out there do. I mean, I love surfing, and I am careful when I download, usually from Cnet which seems the best to me so far. But I know all this crap comes with playing online. And now I am getting into games, more stuff!! Help;) Denise

2. ~TheDarkKnight~

~TheDarkKnight~ New Member

Hey Denise, here's a post i made earlier regarding this. Hope it's useful to you :
    You are probably aware that various factors like your processor speed,the capacity of your RAM,the data transfer speed of your HDD etc decide how fast your PC can work. But you have probably noticed(or start observing now) that as time passes and well over an year or two have passed ,your PC isn't the same as it was when you bought it. Ever think of that brand new,shiny PC or laptop that used to be so responsive to your touch? Miss it?
    Well,what does slow down your system ? One of the culprits is not probably residing on your system now but what he left behind has come to affect your speed. When you decided to throw that huge software bundle that came free(felt good back then huh?) out of your system,you hit uninstall and GONE! Every part of that useless piece of junk got rid off your system right? End of story?No,you are wrong!
    Even when you uninstall software, parts of it gets left behind sometimes and there are few softwares nowadays that do a really clean uninstall of themselves .
    Where does it get left behind?

The most important part of your system that determines if it's healthy is the registry. Here's what Wikipedia has to offer on the registry. It is where the important briefings of your software and system configurations are stored. Any damage to the registry will cripple your system. Similarly if the registry is not optimized ,like when an obsolete software key is present in the registry,it will slow down the functioning of your system.
    Getting back to our original topic , softwares leave behind some files in the registry which are no longer needed as they are uninstalled. And so over time,as you install and uninstall softwares , you are accidentally damaging the performance of your system. Other log files,temporary files from uninstalled softwares also get left behind on your hard disk decreasing its performance and taking up unwanted space. And since you hardly ever open up this part of your system,you don't notice these leftovers. But they sure are slowing down your PC and you should be doing something about them yeah?

Well there are lots of softwares available to solve this(okay lets not do the original mistake of going download-crazy guys) but i am going to post about just two of them that i have used and really have had seen consistent performance from my system by using them.

NOTE:
    Before you install softwares always evaluate if you really need them or if they will be of use in the long run. Always install softwares from trusted sources, Google enough to read reviews about them before you make a decision. Weigh the advantages against the disadvantages and decide if it's worth it.

1.REVO UNINSTALLER

You'll find the download link below.

This software suit(yes it includes a few tools) is a sure winner when it comes to getting rid of junk and leftovers.
    1. Click on the program that you would like to uninstall and click Uninstaller from the left of Revo Uninstaller.
    2. You can choose from the options menu whether to have a restore point and a full registry backup before you uninstall the program (in case you find instability after uninstall and need to restore) and RU does this for you.
    3. Next the built in uninstaller for the corresponding program that you have chosen is called and the normal procedure is followed.
    4.Next comes RU's main role. Click on scan(3 different modes available) and it finds the unnecessary registry files left over by the software you just uninstalled. You can choose to delete whichever ones you want or skip(bah just delete).
    5.Click next and there's more! You are provided with more leftovers from your hard disk such as log files, temporary files, config files etc. Delete them too and you are done.
    As you install and remove softwares over time, this heap of junk grows until it chokes your system to see and act properly. So decide well! :)
    Now more's there functionality to this software. You decided to delete that old girlfriend's photo,emptied your recycle bin and thought that was the end of it? Ha! Your new tech savvy girlfriend can easily recover those deleted pictures,movies or anything else for that matter from your hard disk with simple tools. Even when you delete stuff from your recycle bin it doesn't completely go away. It still resides on your hard disk and can be recovered. This is how data recovery softwares work. Testdisk from my previous post comes with a tool called photorec that can recover deleted stuff from your HDD.
    Revo Uninstaller has a tool to forever delete them from your system and it has a cool name- Evidence remover! It physically erases data from your disk so that it is impossible to recover them using any tools.

Just select the drives that you would like to remove all your evidence from and hit on execute.
    NOTE:
    Only files that have already been deleted from your system are deleted in this process. I should warn you that this could take some time,so grab a coffee and a snack.

Revo Uninstaller also provides with a "Forever Delete " tool to permanently remove files from your system should you choose it.

It also includes other tools to scan your network, remove junk from your MS Office and your computer browsers. Why not give it a try?
    Here's the link www.revouninstaller.com/

2. CCleaner.

Okay this boy's a popular choice from piriform and i guess it doesn't need much saying. Strongly recommended. Sometimes it really astonishes me when the CCleaner's cleaner returns back as much as 800 MBs of junk to be removed that got piled up. It's a must for all PC users.

It also includes a registry cleaner that finds unwanted registry items.

The popular alternative to CCleaner is Advanced SystemCare.

While there are so many other things to be taken care of in maintaining a healthy PC, i have provided you with the most basic essential.

outdoorgal likes this.
  3. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Member

I can't thank you enough for sharing this Dark Knight, and I have restored my laptop, so all is well for now. I still appreciate having this info though as I will save, and use it in the future as well. One thing I had an "almost" impossible task of doing, was removing all the Norton crap I did not want anything to do with. I was given the name Malwarebytes Assassin, done!! Wow, after a week of trying different things to remove files that seemed to be locked, or messages popping up saying some other program was using, but unable to locate the other program, I went in w/MA and cleaned it off.

I will be back after a bit to read all of your post, as well as copy it to my my notepad where I keep a file of helpful comments, thank you again Knight, Denise:)

4. ~TheDarkKnight~

~TheDarkKnight~ New Member

Happy to help, Denise. Also I think you should keep off cnet for software downloads now. Been reading lots of reports of them bundling crapware with the downloads. Instead use filehippo or majorgeeks to download software.

5. wowtgp

wowtgp New Member

I am facing the same issues with my laptop. It's been 3 years since I bought it and have never bothered to clean it up or take it to service centre. I guess it's about time now.