Do You Downgrade?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by TheViper, Nov 28, 2013.

1. TheViper

TheViper Member

There are some out there that will always downgrade their OS no matter what. I know that I always downgrade any new PC I buy to windows xp. Some people think that is is weird that I am still using this OS but I just can't shake my love for it.

Do you guys downgrade your PC OS?

2. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

I have downgraded only twice once was when I didn't like windows 8 and I wanted to go back to 7 and the other time was on my laptop it came with Vista and I hated it so I downgraded to XP I still have it, but it now is also running 7.

3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I first downgraded Windows ME to Windows 98SE, later did the same with the new computers that came with Windows 2000 and Windows XP eventually.

I was running Windows 98SE until 2006 when I first bought a laptop that came with XP and eventually downgraded to Windows 98SE which was way too much faster than XP and less buggie.

I ran Windows 98SE until 2008 when a HD data loss made me lose a generic graphics driver and could not stand run Windows at 640 x 400 pixels.

However this was the time when I got a new laptop with Windows Vista, that I shortly downgraded to Windows XP and never upgraded to 7.

It had to come a new laptop with Windows 8, but while I swear that I would downgrade an upcoming computer with this OS, I'm pleased with this new OS after a few weeks that I have using it.

4. TheViper

TheViper Member

Having XP just seems more simple to me. When I tried out Windows 7 and other OS that came out. They would always lag and just annoy me. I would rather stick with the OS that I know and love.

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

Yes, I fully understand you, I would remain loyal to Windows 98SE for a lifetime if I wouldn't lost the driver.

But I would remain loyal to XP as my next best option if I wouldn't be forced to change of computer and operating system.

6. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

No, the only time I would downgrade would be when I needed to reformat my system, which had an older version of Windows that I would need to install first before I could apply the upgrade to it. Thankfully I haven't had to do this in a long time, but back in the late 90's when computers were like $3000 a pop, I would use them for a few years longer before upgrading the whole thing, so my copies of Windows would get old.

7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I'm actually fearing that at some point I may need to reformat my hard drive, not going to happen soon, but I know that sometimes is necessary and my main problem with Windows 8 is that it doesn't come with an installation disk and I don't see an installation ISO or something in the recovery partition.

As far as I have read, there is a recovery option to set the OS back to its factory setting, but since Windows XP I have never succeeded using the integrated "recovery" options nor backup options, making me reformat for a fresh installation using the installation disks provided with the computer, except with Vista, that the installation was in a hidden recovery that I deleted because not interested in reinstall it.

However if I would have to reformat, I would like to install Windows 8 again, but I'm not crazy to pay its tag price and therefore would have to consider a downgrade again if the infamous integrated recovery options fails, as usual.

8. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

When Vista first came out I tried it for a few days and reverted to XP, that's about it for downgrading for me.

9. dammzyy

dammzyy New Member

When Windows 7 first came out I used it, didn't like it, and went back to Vista. Wasn't someone that enjoyed XP. Went back to Windows 7 only a few days later and didn't change it until only a few weeks ago when I started using Windows 8.

10. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

I don't downgrade, I just don't upgrade. I will have Windows 7 for at least ten more years. Actually , I might upgrade if the next Windows OS is decent. It all depends on what is good at the moment.

Chris_A likes this.
  11. Chris_A

Chris_A New Member

Since I first installed Windows 7, I have not touched any other OS at all. I think 7 is the best OS Microsoft has ever released, and I`m planning on using it for a long time yet. I will probably start to downgrade once PCs come pre-installed with Windows 8, since I don`t really like that OS.

12. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Member

The only time that I have ever downgraded my OS was when I bought my new computer that was running Windows 8. I really disliked the interface and pretty much everything about the OS as a whole. It was such a downgrade in itself that I felt that I needed to downgrade to something better.

13. Oogles

Oogles Member

I haven't downgraded yet but when I change my Desktop and it comes with a windows 8 I will definitely downgrade it back to 7. I just don't like windows 8 it's confusing and hard to use unlike 7 which I know like the back of my hand. :ROFLMAO: Although I heard that Microsoft has already listened to our plights and would redesign Windows 8 to have a start menu and stuff. So maybe I'll give it a chance if they really will. :)