Do you download applications from torrent sites?

Discussion in 'Applications' started by lindbergh, May 9, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

I normally get free software programs and applications from torrent sites. I love to get free stuff you know. The only problem is the risk of getting malicious software from those downloads. Do you also download applications from torrent sites?

2. maurovis

maurovis New Member

I'm guilty of this as well. Some programs out there are just way to expensive for what they provide. Most torrent sites have tons of reviews on the file you're about to download, I've never had any bad experiences with torrent downloads. I'm just never the first person to download any file, I always let a few people go first, wait for the reviews then I download.

3. BlackChi

BlackChi New Member

No. I don't trust torrent sites, I don't even download movies through torrents. The applications I have on my PC which are now wasted since my HD got corrupted came from relatives who had CDs. :p I borrowed and installed 'em on my PC (which is the main device I use, since I find it user-friendly than any other device)

4. lindbergh

Why was your HD corrupted? Maybe it's the lack of torrent downloads that caused your HD to fail. Lol. When I only had a laptop, I used to install programs primarily through CD/DVD installers. But when I got hold of a netbook, I just had to settle to download installers for different programs. I don't have the extra cash to purchase an external CD/DVD drive.

5. maurovis

maurovis New Member

Really? you don't know what you're missing. There are tons of programs that are very usefull that are way overpriced. I would say almost anything adobe charges for is way overpriced and you can easily get safe copies off most torrent sites.

6. lindbergh

Yeah, I think you should try to download torrents once in awhile. Just read the reviews/comments at the bottom of the download and check if people are warning the others about malicious software. You should also have a dependable anti-virus software just to be sure.

7. BlackChi

BlackChi New Member

Not sure why it happened. What's the estimated life span of a Hard Drive? Mine is barely 3years old and all of my precious files got lost (75GB important files). At least Draalin was able to recommend a program that may help me recover files that are extremely of importance. -.-

I may try using torrents, since I may need to re-DL a lot of programs on the new HD. T-T Just the thought is overly depressing.

8. danealegana

danealegana Member

Before I was mainly downloading paid softwares and apps but it did more harm to my machine because of those inserted malwares and stuff that just jeopardized my machine until I learned about some freeware alternatives that work best like those paid softwares. Now I just mainly download movies and tv series from torrent sites because I do not often go to cinemas to watch movies.

9. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

I'm somewhat wary about using torrent websites for software. I know there are rating systems for users and it's probably safe from a 'Trusted' user, but I have seen times where someone will build up a good reputation, then go for the big scam.

10. danealegana

danealegana Member

That is so true. So now, if I sometimes in need of a software and is quite expensive and want to try it first, I download trials and just look for serials floating around the net to look at its full potential. Then just buy it later if it is really worth it.

11. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

I don't really worry about getting viruses or other malicious stuff from torrents, since I keep my AV and anti malware apps up to date and always scan the downloaded programs with them before I run and install them. Generally users will point it out in the comments of the torrent as well if it's infected.

There are many reputable forums out there that offer downloads too, and are user moderated to flag and remove applications with viruses.

12. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

I'm sorry, but yes, I got majority of the applications I currently use through torrents. It's not that I don't want to support the developers, but the problem is that it's very expensive, and I'm currently stingy when it comes to spending.

13. lindbergh

I'm not sure about the estimated life of a hard drive. I think that it's about 5 years. Maybe you were just struck with a virus or something? I hope that you could recover the important files that you have lost. My laptop was also a victim of a powerful virus about two years back. I had it reformatted, got every document in tact (except for the programs) and now it's working just fine.

14. fermlour

fermlour Member

I do not use, I am very afraid that might get virus on my computer, I only download from sites you know and trust.

15. bowst

bowst New Member

I'm very curious as to what people like you consider to be 'trustworthy'. Just because a website looks professional and clean, it doesn't mean that the site is automatically considered safe and will never supply you with malicious files, whether it is the site owner's intention or not.

Honestly, in some ways, torrent sites are safer than some of the other direct download sites out there, as long as you are downloading torrents that are heavily seeded and have almost no negative comments (the number of positive comments doesn't matter, they can easily be faked).

16. lindbergh

Yeah, that's what I do when I download from torrent sites. I first look into the comments from others who downloaded the file. If I see a lot of negative comments, I don't download. If the torrent download does not have any comments at all, I don't download also. Still, it's not 100% safe to download a torrent with positive reviews. But hey, we got to take risks sometime.

17. fermlour

fermlour Member

hmmm, maybe you're right, because I usually use sites with a clean and professional design, but the torrents do not inspire great confidence, do not know why.

18. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

If you want to be safe without going over the top just install a virtual machine and download to that, make sure you don't have a bridged connection selected so it doesn't leave your network. Also make sure no guest addons are installed.

Could also install Sandboxie inside the virtual machine as well. It will be a VM inception! (joking)

Though you could always get some sort of crazy virus that will get to your host computer through memory!

Never really safe. :(

19. foitoi

foitoi Member

I don't download applications from torrents. If something is really good, I will buy it (I only bought one game so far). I love to support new developers and the people who are willing to work, so I pay them. I don't have a single application on my phone that need to be paid for. But I can say that I can agree with you guys. Some of those applications are just way to expensive (those navigation applications 300$+ :O).

20. Camo75

Camo75 New Member

No torrents for me!!
    The boys in blue are pretty onto us down here. In fact, a friend of mine at school was recently fined $5000 for torrenting illegally. That's pretty munched scared me off. Think Ill stick to normal downloading thanks!