Do you know how to make your own network cables?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by EdenSB, May 19, 2013.

1. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

I'm actually curious if you know how to do it though. I learned how to do it when I got my computer maintenance qualification but it seemed like a really rare skill in my home country of England. Since coming to Korea, I've met quite a few people who know how to do it.

So, do you know how?

If the answer is no, look here: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Network-Cable

The guide is okay, though I find the video helps more. It's a pretty useful skill since it's a lot cheaper than replacing them and you only really need the crimping tool.

2. Trox

Trox New Member

I've only made networking cables once before, but it's much easier than I had anticipated it to be. The guide you put up is quite helpful for someone who wants to create some cables, or needs a refresher course. Just make sure that you follow the wiring specifications of the cables you need, otherwise they won't work.

3. DaveT

DaveT New Member

I haven't made network cables for years. It was something I learned to do a long time ago but I haven't had any use for that skill for quite some time. The last time I did it was flood wiring an office for a client and for some reason I decided to do all the wiring myself. It wasn't too bad a job but not something I'd want to be doing all the time. Just doing a few cables is pretty easy though, provided you have the right tools.

4. miganders

miganders Member

I haven't made network cables before, but I reckon I should be able to do it if it's anything like making audio cables. My headphones cable frequently has accidents and so the years have taught me the value of home-repair. You would not believe what AKG charges for a replacement cable.

5. Linken

Linken New Member

I made my own network cables once; they failed lol. Took 3 tries to actually crimp the damn thing.

6. PurpleGuardian

PurpleGuardian Member

Hey thanks if I ever need to make a network cable I'll come here haha.

7. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Yeah they can be tricky the first time! :D

8. quark

quark New Member

Haha reminds me of when I was much younger, my headset was broken and I wanted to fix it so bad. I took a potato peeler and tried to peel up the outside of the cable to find where it wasn't connected. Of course I ended up cutting the whole cable and raged badly.

Don't judge me, I was young :D.