Do You Still Use Blogger?

Discussion in 'Content Management Systems' started by calebmelvern, Sep 24, 2013.

1. calebmelvern

calebmelvern New Member

Many blogging platforms came to the scene in the past few years. Wordpress is undoubtedly the king right now, and a few others are also making noises such as Joomla and Drupal. I'm wondering if Blogger is now a thing of the past. Blogger still ranks very well in search engines and I can still see quite a few blogger blogs that are being constantly updated with new content.

How many of you still use blogger? And if you do, what are your reasons for using it instead of other CMS?

2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

Well, WordPress is not king if you mean their free blog hosting service, which is deplorable and limited, aimed to force you for a paid upgrade.

WordPress as a script or blog publishing blog system that you can install on your own hosting service is definitely the most used blog software today.

Joomla and Drupal are not blogging scripts, but content management systems or, ultimately portal software, so there is not point of comparison with WordPress.

On the other hand, blogger is a web-based blogging solution and ultimately is best than WordPress free blog hosting because at least Google does not delete your blog for no reason (as WordPress does) and Blogger allows you to blog about whatever you want and make money with it. WordPress (as web-based platform) doesn't allow money-oriented blogs nor that you monetize from a free blog in any way.

Personally I tried WordPress as free web-based service and they deleted my blog twice for no reason. I have installed the software on my own hosting space but it is not as easy as they claim once that one starts adding plugins, and the last WP update shows the evolution of this software into a less user-friendly interface.

I have tried Blogger too, but not having the full control over the blog drives me nuts, and I have like 3 or 4 Blogger blogs abandoned.

I prefer to run a blog on my own hosting service, and this is a custom-made script that I coded myself ;)

jodiann12 likes this.
  3. jodiann12

jodiann12 New Member

Yes, I have both a Wordpress and a Blogger account, and personally I prefer to use Blogger for a blogging platform because I'm not satisfied with the free blog hosting service that Wordpress provides, as indicated by MyDigitalPoint. I'm satisfied with Blogger and I have no problems with it.

4. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I think if you are going to try to "rank" for anything most people would agree on buying your own .com (If trying to rank globally) and hosting is your best bet.

I haven't done much with Joomla or Drupal, but I know Google loves Wordpress. :love:

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

Agree with draalin! New domain extensions come and go, but undoubtedly dot COM domains are the best option to get your domain ranking above the crowd.

In addition, it's true that Google loves WordPress and when you are under total control of it, there is not reason for not using it if WP serves to your purpose.

Another good option that WordPress is its ability to ping updating services, and these are continuously feeding not just Google, but other search engines and other sites that pull in updates from blogs.

In fact is highly advisable remove rpc.pingomatic.com, which is the default WordPress pinging service, and add manually these services instead: http://www.bloggerbulk.com/best-seo-wordpress-ping-list-2013-guide/

Pingomatic is efficient, but sometimes is unreachable or for an unknown reason doesn't update your entries when you are confident it will be. Adding the full list allow you to make sure the main updating services will be pinged and it's impossible that all of the fail, but if you only rely on pingomatic and it fails, you are dead man.

6. Aditya Kulkarni

Aditya Kulkarni New Member

Yes I do.

It is maybe because I am a newbie blogger and I get what I want really quick on Blogger.
    I opted for Wordpress and others, but being my first playground, I am fond of Blogger.

I still remember when I tried monetizing my blog first, I did with the HTML/Javascript widget, and when I completed it, I thought "This is amazing! :)". That is the beginning of my fondness for Blogger!

7. MyNameIsAlex

MyNameIsAlex New Member

I just started a new blog recently that's purely for fun and sharing interesting content I stumble upon around the web. I chose Blogger randomly (probably because I like most of Google's software, anyway) and it's more than enough for me. The default design is light and attractive and the actual interface for posting content is really intuitive for me.

For my other sites that I'm working on, I won't use Blogger as I want to have more control of the design and identity, but for a no-frills fun blog platform, Blogger is still my first choice.

8. Linkzelda41

Linkzelda41 New Member

I don’t really use Blogger as much as I did when doing reviews on anime and manga series. Like others have stated, Wordpress just puts people in a double bind where paying is the only pragmatic way to start using other features to get your content optimized for whatever you want to accomplish (SEO, traffic, etc.)

I used other third-party blogging companies as well, but I grew tired of them after I realized most of them wouldn’t commit to having better servers, service, and overall consistency. Especially those that manage to get a large free user base and scam them completely.

9. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

I wouldn't use Blogger for a business web site - it would look far too unprofessional. If a business can't afford their own domain and web hosting, that wouldn't look too good. However I have seen some celebrity bloggers continue to use Blogger. One cooking blog I've been reading for years, FoodWishes, still uses Blogger - and he's a rather well known online chef these days.

Wordpress in general powers close to 20% of the web currently based on some recent estimates. It's certainly powerful enough to be the back end to very high traffic sites, and they even offer enterprise level hosting for businesses too.

One of my other concerns with Blogger is that it's also a haven for spam blogs - so it can be easy to get lost in the noise, especially if Google starts to lower the influence of those blogs in the SERPs.

10. missbishi

missbishi Member

Another one here who still uses Blogger and has no plans to change. My blog is fairly basic and exists as little more than an outlet from my ranting so I don't need bundles of features. I wasn't impressed with Wordpress for several reasons and Blogger is just so simple to use.

I agree that Blogger just wouldn't work for a professional blog though - it has a very "homemade" feel to it.

11. GearZ

GearZ Member

No, but only because I don't blog. For me it is a waste of time. Blogger isn't a bad service though. Joomla, at least in my experience, is a lot more quirky.

12. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

My husband is a blogger and he uses blogger for his platform. He actually has 3 blogs although he was amiss in attending to his blogs lately due to lack of time. With Wordpress, he is amenable but he remains with Blogger for his blogs for now.

13. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I have an abandoned Blogger blog and, a few days ago, I tried to revive it, but it really annoyed me,

Probably it's because I have been working on my own self-hosted WordPress blog, but I thought to take advantage of the exposure that Blogger gives to their users.

Even though it is now so annoying that they asked me to wait several months to get Adsense displaying on my Blogger blog, time at which they will give me an Adsense account.

What they seem to ignore is that I ran Adsense on this blog before because I have already an Adsense account, and since a bit more of then years ago.

14. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

My husband's blog is with Adsense and he is earning $100 every 2 years. Not much because his blog has not been viral although it is getting good views that sometimes reach 50 in a day. Now that he is also reviving his blogs, he is having difficulty with the html codes and he said he needs to relearn html because he is having a problem with spacing. He is reviving his blogs upon the request of some friends who visit his blogs unknown to him.

15. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

Actually Adsense is offering asynchronous ads delivery, which can be the problem your hubby is finding with the old codes. Getting into AdSense console he can import his old codes into new ones to improve performance, although it's fine keep using the old one.

Asynchronous ad units are basically to meet new HTML and design standards, hence the reason why is advisable to update the codes, but not mandatory.

As for the earning, sometimes can go so slow that I remember my second $100 took like 6 years to be completed, despite the first ones were made within a year.

16. CallFreq

CallFreq New Member

Well, asynchronous loading is important for user experience, especially when you know that each millisecond matter, basically. Because a 200 ms longer load is more boring than the 200 ms shorter one, despite 200 ms is a tiny unit of time: it can be wasted by waiting someone else reply or by thinking about it. But when we want something in computer science, we cant it right away, not 1 second later.

However, I think taking care of the whole loading is important, and affect advertising "openness", meaning that more the load is shorter, more people will be open to click to the ads because they won't be annoyed by it, because they are often a factor making the loading longer while it is often a nuisance to an user point of view. Hence why ad blockers are popular as well. That's why ad loadings but also loading in general is important and it should be kept short. I guess a lot of things enter about the earnings and if the expectation is to win money, some look at the metrics is perhaps needed.