Do you use a VPN?

Discussion in 'Security' started by draalin, May 17, 2013.

1. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Anyone here use VPN's for just browsing anonymously?

Or for personal use for example connecting to your home network while you are somewhere else?

I use them mainly for personal use to access my servers without having to open up external ports to through my router. I suppose its just much more secure to have a VPN with a good key.

I was using fail2ban to log/temp ban anything trying to brute force into my servers. (Even after changing the default ports for example ssh or ftp) But I was still getting a ton of random IP's trying to break in. :(

2. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

I only use a VPN when I try to activate Steam games that are region locked. I don't really know what's the logic between gaming companies placing region locks on specific games. It's quite a hassle having to use a VPN just to buy their games.

3. Nabs Hamid

Nabs Hamid Member

I use VPN's to access sites my location can't access. I use privitize VPN - a free VPN. I used to have HMA pro, but I thought it wasn't worth it.

4. draalin

What about those outrageous prices for buying games from specific regions! I feel bad for anyone from Australia when it comes to buying games from Steam. :oops:

5. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

Be careful! You can actually get your whole Steam account banned that way. It's against the ToS and has happened in the past. Usually people are safe, but if you've hundreds of games, it's quite a risk.

I've used a VPN to buy Steam games - not from Steam, but from reseller websites. Sometimes they're cheaper in other regions from resellers or a deal is only for a certain country.

themarksquared likes this.
  6. danealegana

danealegana Member

I used VPN's before for getting free internet. If you know what I mean! :) I wont elaborate it further since it is illegal.

I also used VPN's especially US locations just to use Craigslist and promote my sites and products.

7. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

Oh yes, I've heard about that just a few days after I bought a Steam game through a VPN. After I saw that warning, I decided to stop using a VPN and buy the games the 'legit' way. It's better to be safe than sorry right?

One thing I've never understood is on why developers install region locks on specific games. I had one of the most 'frustrating' moments in my life when I bought Hitman: Absolution on Amazon because it was on sale for $4.99. When I bought the game, I couldn't activate it on Steam due to region lock. Perfect.

8. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

It's partially a pricing issue. As an example, people might sell games for a very low price in China because the currency isn't worth much. It might cost an American the cost of 5 meals to buy a game, while it costs a Chinese person the cost of 20 meals if it's the same price. They change it so it's the same price as 5 Chinese meals. That's just an example - the figures aren't accurate. Another example is that they might charge less due to piracy. In Russia piracy is incredibly high, so they can charge less to try encourage people to buy it legitimately.

If someone buys Chinese or Russian games from this example, then sells them to someone in the US, it circumvents their system. The person from the US can buy a game for the price of 5 Chinese meals - which ends up being 1.25 US meals in this example.

There are also content issues. Some game keys don't work in Germany because some of the content is banned there. Either the game isn't legally allowed to be released or they have their own version which is edited.

Regarding not being able to activate the game, if you have someone you trust in a country that can activate it, you may be able to get them to do it. Have them log on with your details from a country where it works and activate the game from there. It's not linked to the Steam account's origin, but the current location. After activation it should work fine, hopefully.

themarksquared likes this.
  9. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

Dang, how come I've never thought of that before. Thank you very much for clearing things up. At first, I never thought it had something to do with pricing, but because the developers just wanted to screw with the consumers :D. Today I learned that it's the other way around. It's Steam's method of protecting the consumers from getting ripped off due to pricing difference. I personally think that your analogy with the meals is spot on and accurate.

As for the content issues, I've heard of that. There are some games with controversial themes that are banned on some countries to prevent an outbreak of rage from the citizens.

Thank you for the suggestion. I might ask my cousin in the United States to activate the game for me. I want to play Hitman so bad.

10. nightsparks

nightsparks Member

I've got a VPN running through one of my VPSs that I use when I'm feeling a bit ... paranoid about things. I have my phone setup to use it, too, so I don't have to worry about using other networks that I may or may not trust.

11. draalin

You even use the VPN with your carriers data plan? Or just for Wi-Fi you don't trust?

12. nightsparks

nightsparks Member

Just the WiFi I don't trust. It may not always be necessary, but it doesn't really hurt anything.

13. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

I'm glad that my analogy worked. :D The numbers were completely made up, but it's the same idea I feel.

One thing I forgot to mention is rounding up. In one country it might be slightly different pricing, if just because $9.99 is a very common price - £6.60 is less so, so they might change it to £6.99 or they might even change it to £9.99.

If you do that and want to be careful, I'd suggest logging off your Steam account for a day before, then getting him to do it, then having him log off and you log back on a day later. This is just to reduce any chance of being flagged for possible VPN use, if you appear to suddenly change countries a couple of times within ten minutes.

14. haris altaf

haris altaf New Member

I am using Purevpn service the one of the key features is purevpn is 24/7 support some time i get problem i am contact purevpn support person and my problem will be solve 15 to 20 mins no vpn service give these type of supports but before you buy any vpn service read review from bestvpnservice.com its only reliable source

15. Arkayde

Arkayde New Member

I only use a VPN when I'm on vacation somewhere and I have to connect to some hotel's Wi-Fi.

Otherwise, no.

16. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

I actually just used a VPN earlier today to buy Fifa 13 for $5. Unfortunately though the code keeps saying it's not been generated yet, so I'm wondering if it's a problem caused by the use of the VPN with the system.

Edit: Apparently not. They were just out of codes and I happened to be the only one who posted about it on the forum thread about the deal which I found.

17. draalin

Looks like they have a pretty good list of VPN's on that site. I have thought about using PureVPN before but ended up getting Private Internet Access instead. Though it cost a bit more now, at the time they had a really good deal for a subscription. :joyful:

18. rosemaryzephyr

rosemaryzephyr New Member

I use a VPN, sometimes when I just want to be safe. I've also occasionally used it to access Hulu or Pandora when I've been outside the US.

19. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

How has your experience been? I've rarely tried doing that, if just because I guessed that it'd be too slow loading.

20. rosemaryzephyr

rosemaryzephyr New Member

I haven't had any problems at all. 95% of the time it loaded just as quickly as when I had visited those sites without a VPN.