Do you want to save your password?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by lindbergh, Jul 23, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

When signing up for a website, I always get this - "Do you want Firefox/Google Chrome to save your password? I only have one answer to this - YES. It's a lot faster to login to my different accounts if my password is saved because I no longer need to input it. The problem? I more often than not forget what my passwords are because the password is automatically saved. Shheesh.

2. ozadin

ozadin Member

I always choose the yes option, I make a variety of different passwords, I might have 5-6 passwords, and only remember 3-4 of them, so having the save password option ticked is very useful at times. There are also some websites that limit you to only having 5 tries to logging in, which is the sites I mostly save my password on.

3. altrouge

altrouge Member

I never save my passwords on any browser I use. I don't mind having to retype everything all over again, plus I change my passwords all the time as well.

outdoorgal likes this.
  4. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

I personally always keep my passwords saved on Chrome. I do not on Firefox, since you can see the saved passwords all by heading to the options menu, and that makes me feel insecure personally.

For personal sites like Facebook I do not save my password just because I don't want family to see messages etc. But for something like Youtube I just keep it saved so that I don't have to waste time as there is no real sensitive information.

5. wowtgp

wowtgp New Member

Since nobody touches my laptop except for my GF, I don't have to be afraid of anything. So yes, I always choose the 'yes' option. The only 2 websites I have never saved my passwords for, are Facebook and PayPal, and you know why, haha :)

6. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

Same here. No matter what, I never save my password for Facebook/PayPal since I don't feel secure about it.

wowtgp likes this.
  7. wowtgp

wowtgp New Member

Haha, pretty much same here. I don't want my GF to know about my PayPal status.

8. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

Haha! Not only that, but if your laptop gets stolen and you use Firefox and have saved passwords - it's over. Never really trust password saving on high risk sites.

9. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

I've had an ongoing problem with this in Internet Explorer when I use it from time to time. It will keep asking me if I want to save a password, I will hit Yes, but it never saves it. Similarly, it keeps nagging me about disabling addons, and I tell it to never ask me that again yet it does.

10. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Check out Chrome or FireFox!

11. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

I use Chrome as my main browser, and the saved passwords work fine on it. However when I am working on web development projects, I need to hop over to IE from time to time and preview them. I generally have my Wordpress sites turned off for the general public, so you need to be logged in to preview them. Unfortunately I have to keep logging into to Wordpress in IE because it won't remember my session or my login info.

12. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

I never save my passwords it’s a bad habit to get into I guess its ok if you do at your own home, but chances are you might slip up and you might do it at work or school and that can lead to trouble.

13. BCH

BCH New Member

It's a very useful feature that I didn't even use until very recently. For a long time I was seriously concerned about security but I have now implemented failsafe methods on my computer to help alleviate some of my concerns.

14. danealegana

danealegana Member

Not really, Ive got it in my head and a piece of paper. Even though I feel I did all the necessary requirements to secure my PC, I still doubt its secure enough since there are a lot of really good hackers out there that could possibly do the unthinkable. So the best option is go the old school way, my memory and a notebook of my accounts. :)

15. skywatcher

skywatcher New Member

My computer's my personal computer, so I guess I'd have to say yes to that. Though I normally reset and remove my cache, which makes all the saved passwords go away - but I guess the saving part is something I liked because it's been so much of a hassle for me to always type in a username and a password all the time.

And I've always made sure to save passwords on sites and applications I'm sure wouldn't be detrimental to work and school and my career. I only don't save passwords when it comes to school, work and my career, haha

16. Thephantom638

Thephantom638 New Member

I always choose Yes on these type of things because more often than not my passwords on different websites will be different. For example some website assign passwords and don't allow you to set one of your own, so considering I am not inclined to remember some random line of numbers and letters, I'd choose Yes.

17. Ahriman

Ahriman Member

I use to be a naive fool and would always save my passwords without a second thought. Then one day I dated a particularly vengeful girl, we had an argument and I woke up with my entire facebook defaced and I was banned from every forum I registered with. If my WoW account hadn't had an authenticator she would of deleted them as well, from her own mouth.

The moral of this story? Don't save your passwords if you ever date someone you share a computer with, don't share a computer with someone you date and..don't be like and me use a similar password for everything. Oh I really did learn my lesson there.

18. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

I am a horrible person when it comes to online security sometimes. I use the same password for everything just because it's easy to remember. But I have a hard time trusting my passwords to my comptuer, so I never end up saving them and just keep myself logged in to whatever service I'm on. It's practically the same thing anyways, except that your credentials aren't stored in more places than it needs to be.

19. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

I always save my password on different websites. My password is saved on draalin.com also. I really don't care that much about security, I'm not worried about getting "hacked".

20. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

Eh, getting hacked never really seemed that big to me either. But the one bad experience I've had with hackers in ages (I tend to use pretty good security practices), is when one hacked my hotmail twice over to send spam messages. I'm certain that he got my email and password combo through a weaker server and just plugged it into my hotmail to get in. So now I have to be more careful about who I let have certain passwords.