Do you want to save your password?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by lindbergh, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Chris_A

Chris_A New Member

I don`t usually save my passwords when prompted. I have made it a practice to write my passwords down on paper and keep them safe. This way, if I need to reformat my system and install a fresh OS, I won`t loose them all because I forgot to back up my browser settings. :D

2. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Member

I just wanted to say that I think you are very wise to do this. I know it can be extra work, but it seems like the trouble people get into online, is always about someone snagging their password. I think if I got in the habit of changing my passwords on a regular basis, it wouldn't seem like extra work, just a good habit;)

Thank you for your reply:)

3. TainaF

TainaF New Member

I like the option of not having to type in my password every time I want to log into something. Try not to have too many passwords, it will be easier for you to remember.

4. TainaF

TainaF New Member

You like living dangerously, huh. The last thing I want is losing my Identity to some computer hacker.

5. ckke

ckke New Member

I used to save my passwords in my browser, but I heard that it is not very secure, so I moved to using KeePass. It's an external program that saves passwords and has a Chrome extension, so it still auto-fills, almost as easy as having Chrome fill the passwords in. A bonus is that I can keep the database file in Dropbox and access my passwords from my phone. I still do have some passwords for unimportant things saved in my browser, but for more important sites I have randomly generated passwords saved in KeePass.

@TainaF Yes, it is easier to not have too many different passwords, but it is more secure to have different ones for important sites. If a password for one site is leaked, you don't want someone to be able to get into all your accounts!

6. DancingLady

DancingLady New Member

I save most of my passwords, but most of them are not going to get anyone access to anything important so I don't worry about it. I like the convenience of being automatically logged into the sites I use regularly. I do not save passwords to sites where I buy things because that would be a security issue potentially.

7. LifeOrDeath

LifeOrDeath New Member

Nope. I never feel safe when I save my passwords on my computer. I don't really have anything that's worth hacking so it shouldn't really be a worry but still. Also, you never know if your roommate is using your computer when you are not here!

8. LittleMiss

LittleMiss New Member

In have a few different passwords that I use depending on the site. I guess it mainly depends on the type of site and how personal the information on the website is. I will let it save it if me getting hacked doesn't have some serious consequences. PayPal... Absolutely not! Facebook, I guess I'm just not so concerned about that. I'll let it save it. I do what I have to do to not have secrets or have to keep up with lies. It isn't the most popular approach, and I've lost a number of friends because of it. But it keeps me from having to worry about someone getting into my computer.

9. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

To me, letting the browser save the passwords depends much on the place requiring the password to access. Sensitive sites such as Paypal, online banking, affiliate programs and any other related to money transactions are mostly sites I don't want the browser to remember not just the password itself, but either the typed URL, hence I use to delete the browser's history along with cookies and else after visiting one of those sites.

For other sites where I sign up on a daily basis, but had nothing to do with money making or money administration, I use to tick the box that says "keep me logged" or "remember me" rather than allowing the browser to save the password.

I distrust of this feature because if I'm not home and someone uses my computer, this person automatically will be able to get into my accounts. In addition, I have 2 or 3 different passwords used in all sites, depend on what the site is about, the password to be used.

When I was newbie to the Internet I made the mistake of following what the sites suggested me, give to each site a unique password and never jot down this information. This is what I did at first, and eventually lost the access because I couldn't remember all of those passwords nor there was written reference to access.

10. GenevB

GenevB New Member

All of you who always press yes should be aware of the fact that the passwords saved are saved into a pretty easy accessible document. Whoever has a little access to your PC can get to your passwords, so you should do that only if you know there aren't anyone else who got access to your PC, because even if a friend drops by and you let him alone in the room for 5 minutes to get a cup of tea or so, he might access one (or all) of your passwords and usually people do you the same passwords for multiple things, so they can try and log in with one of those passwords into your email, paypal account or even home banking account.