Done with Windows?

Discussion in 'Ubuntu' started by chironex, May 20, 2013.

1. chironex

chironex New Member

Fed up of windows lagging up my laptop. I'm going to go to linux.

Ubuntu seems like the best option. Should I use 12.04 or 13.04?
    Which has the best compatibility for everything?

I've read that they should be almost the same. 12.04 is a bit outdated but stable and has support for 5 years (starting april 2012) 13.04 is up-to-date (for now) but isn't as stable as 12.04 and will have a shorter support life.

Is this true?
    What would you guys suggest?
    Thanks!

2. Nabs Hamid

Nabs Hamid Member

I've been using Windows for around 8 years and never had any major issue. Most programs are compatible with Windows.

3. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Get 13.04 if you are going to switch to Ubuntu. I haven't seen any major issues with it and I'm running both the desktop and server version right now.

It will be a bit of a shock though if you've been using Windows for a long time. :rolleyes:

4. thehomesk1llet

thehomesk1llet New Member

I'd go for 12.o4 over 13.o4. I actually recently talked with someone about this same subject. They built a new computer and didn't want to pay for an operating system that's not reliable, so they came to me asking about Ubuntu.

While 13.04 is the latest version and has some really nice features, it's not entirely stable, as with most non-LTS releases, which is why I'm sticking with 12.04 for now. I've experienced the latest version for myself, and it's nice, but it's nicer to have full support on a slightly outdated OS, with the added convenience of the stability of 12.04. Speaking for myself, I've had my fair share of problems with Windows, including complete data loss and irrecoverable system errors, even through normal use, which is why I chose Ubuntu instead of Windows. It's free and easy to use, and provides the benefits of not having to worry about antivirus, since you can't get viruses on Ubuntu.

It's a bit of a shock for first time users, yes, but it's incredibly easy to get used to, and I find that there are more benefits in having Ubuntu over Windows. Wine takes care of most of the programs that are incompatible with Ubuntu, which is nice. Most of the popular applications found today are open sourced, however, which means you get full support for Linux operating systems, Ubuntu especially.

Again, with the stability and overall performance of 12.04, I'd go with that over 13.04.