Dropbox or Google Drive

Discussion in 'Applications' started by caparica007, Oct 17, 2013.

1. caparica007

caparica007 Member

I've been using Dropbox for quite a while so I never had the need to try Google Drive. Are there any major differences? Which one are you using?

2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I have used Dropbox and found it useful, but any service that requires manual uploading of files bothers me a bit because it's slower that uploading the files to my own hosting space, so I stopped using it.

I tried to use Google Drive, but I was so confused that thought to put it aside. The only uploading service that I sometimes use is a Gmail drive shell extension that can be installed onto your computer and allow you to access Gmail via FTP to upload files that are saved as drafts.

I really love this extension, so if someone is interested here is the information:
    Full description and download can be found here, http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

3. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

I use Dropbox to store all my animating projects I don't know if Google drive is any better, but I already use to many google products.

4. caparica007

caparica007 Member

I have never heard about Gmail drive shell, but it's pretty similar to what you can do with dropbox no? You just put the files in the dropbox folder and it synchronizes with other computers you have dropbox in.

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

Exactly Caparica!! Only that I use Total Commander as replacement of Windows File Manager, http://www.ghisler.com

Having installed this software allows me to open Gmail in one panel and simple copy the files that are listed on the opposite panel, which is way easier than dragging and dropping files.

6. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I used Dropbox for a while but switched over to Google Drive for the purpose of sharing/working on projects that involved school group work.

Never seen the GMail Drive extension before though, did that come out before the desktop version of Google Drive MyDigitalPoint?

7. caparica007

caparica007 Member

You guys seem advance users, I never had those needs. I do have a google docs account here on work where we share files, possibly that's the same thing right?

8. MissPotato

MissPotato New Member

I've tried both - personally I find Drive more convenient, but sometimes connection problems can occur and you end up not saving (losing) files along the way. Dropbox is okay, too.

9. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

I used to love Google Drive since it was way more convenient and popular. Right after I upgraded to Windows 8.1, I'm slowly trying to switch over to SkyDrive. It's easier to upload files. I like it.

10. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

Now that I'm running Windows 8, I found an alternative to Dropbox and Google Drive; Microsoft's SkyDrive.

I'm not very enthusiast about using these services, so I have not tried it yet, but would be awesome if someone could share with us something about this service to learn more.

11. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

Since I am like the only one that continues to use Dropbox maybe I should give google drive a shot and just use both I will continue to keep all my animation on Dropbox and maybe put everything else on google drive.

12. scottman

scottman New Member

I prefer Dropbox because it allows for any type of files to be 'dropped' into it, while Google docs needs it to be converted to their compatible format. Although I have found my Dropbox space has been filling up faster han my Drive.

13. pandandesign

pandandesign Member

I have been using both Dropbox and Google Drive. I like Dropbox better because it's user-friendly and easier for me to upload images and documents online. Also, my tablet has the Dropbox application, which makes it much easier for me to use. I personally think Dropbox is the way to go if you don't have that many stuff to upload onto it.

14. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

I dabbled with Google Drive but did not like it at all. It's rather confusing to use and if you aren't careful with what you are doing you can send your cable bill through the roof. If you are constantly transferring files to Google regularly you can go way over your monthly cap with your ISP, after which point they will start charging you incrementally more and more. Technically speaking if I tried to backup my whole 1TB drive to Google Drive, it would cost me like over a hundred dollars in fees for going over my standard useage. Plus Google Drive keeps some confusing mirror of everything you are backing up to it on your hard drive.

15. chie

chie Member

I think they are equally great. I suppose it's relative to every user in terms of performance. But, for me, I use Dropbox because I don't have a Google account.

16. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Member

I personally prefer Google Drive a lot more because they give you a lot more space and they also integrate with all of my other Google products. They also give you a lot of expansion opportunities for not a bad price (I think you can get to 100 gb for like $6 / month or something).

17. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

I use Dropbox, I have it installed on my laptop, smartphone and tablet PC. You don't get that much space unless you refer loads of users but it's easy to use and is convenient. It does tend to be a little slow uploading in my experience though. I have never used Google Drive though, so don't really know the difference.