Favorite Desktop Gadgets?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jmoore93, Jun 12, 2013.

1. jmoore93

jmoore93 New Member

Hey, Draalin-ians!

Does anybody have some favorite Windows 7 desktop gadgets? I've been trying to find some useful addons for my desktop besides the default gadgets included with Windows. Microsoft no longer has them listed on its website, so I suppose as a follow up question, where is a good place to find new gadget?

Right now I'm only using the clock and CPU meter to keep an eye on my desktop while I play games on a second monitor.

2. ozadin

ozadin Member

My favorite desktop gadget is probably f.lux. It adjusts the screen color depending on how it is outside where you live. It's mostly used to reduce stress on your eyes. It may seem weird at the start with the yellowish color, but if you use it long enough, you should see a huge change. It helped me a lot.

3. foitoi

foitoi Member

I always wanted to try that, but I always forget. I use Rainmeter and I do a lot of 3D modeling these days so my favorites are cpu and ram meter, other then that, I don't use them much.

4. ozadin

ozadin Member

I use Rainmeter as well, very great textures and custom skins people made! I have a notes, weather, CPU/RAM usage, and time on my wallpaper. I mostly look at the weather and the temperatures though.

5. wowtgp

wowtgp New Member

I use Desktop Shortcut Manager to manage my shortcuts. It is really a handy tool which helps me keep my desktop clean.

6. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

I used to be an avid user of Yahoo's desktop widgets but when they discontinued them a few years ago I kind of gave up on looking for a replacement. The ones that came with Vista were kind of ugly.

7. vaibhav402

vaibhav402 New Member

Hey guys, my favorite and all time used gadget would be the resource monitor. Its really handy to have a quick look at how much resources your PC is consuming before you start games. Another most used gadget would the sticky notes. Sticky notes really help me get though my day and remember all the small stuff which I would usually forget.

8. zolppi

zolppi New Member

I not sure that belongs Launchy here but i still post here. So, i've been using Launchy for a while. I first tested it and i liked it a lot. Then just payed 5$ for it. It's really easy way to get to the programs and folders. It's lot faster than Windows' own search.

9. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

I used to get mine from Rainmeter the reason why I no longer use them is they slow down your computer on your start up boot, but I think the last two gadgets I used were the weather, and the TV guide one.

10. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I haven't ever really used widgets. I never have the desktop open so they're pretty much useless to me. :oops:

11. Qamra

Qamra New Member

There is one built in that I use a lot - currency. Because I transfer money almost everyday, I like to be updated without having to look for information on internet.

It's a neat little gadget and surely makes my life easier.

12. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

I never seen a widget it seems like a neat and useful widget I would consider using a widget like that, but the problem with widgets are they really take up a lot of your CPU power.

MyDigitalpoint likes this.
  13. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

Agree totally with you!

First time I saw those series of widgets running on my computer's desktop I thought they looked pretty cool, but when they started to make my operating system lagging and have continuous hogs, I realized that most widgets (and even wallpapers) eat up to many system resources.

I got rid of all them, and wallpapers too. My desktop is simply solid black color.