Favorite Instant Messenger software?

Discussion in 'Applications' started by draalin, May 12, 2013.

1. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I have been using Trillian for probably 6 years or so now. Haven't ever had a reason to switch as it has login functionally for anything you can pretty much think of.

2. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

I think the last time I used an Instant Messaging software that is not related with Facebook was Skype. It's very reliable, but its interface can really confuse the normal PC user. Nevertheless, it's currently my favorite IM software, and I would like to see more improvements from that program.

3. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

I like the Messenger of Facebook because I have a lot of friends to chat with there. I also like yahoo Messenger but not a lot of people are using it nowadays. I also like Cubie Messenger for Android since it has a lot of cool smileys.

4. maurovis

maurovis New Member

I really like using both Google and skype. And between the two I have to say Skype is my favorite, I've been using it for so long and contact list is huge and I'm usually online 24hrs a day 7 days a week.

5. danealegana

danealegana Member

Google and Skype are the best that I use for my business.

But for personal use, I always use Yahoo Messenger because most of my family and friends are more active and fond of using Yahoo Messenger.

6. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

I really like Kakaotalk, which is hugely popular here in South Korea. Everyone from elementary school students to middle-aged women use it. It has messaging features, voice features and media-sending features. It's quite reliable too.

7. fermlour

fermlour Member

Before wearing the windows messenger, but now it seems so just use skype, though not its my favorite program, it gives to use.

8. rashidckk

rashidckk Member

For me also, Google and Skype are the favorites. In Google messenger, I have long list of contacts.

9. kdlt

kdlt Member

Trillian is great, draalin! I used it in the early 2000s but I switched over to Pidgin because it's essentially the same thing but uses less resources and had a cleaner look to the UI (at the time, at least.) It's a free client and supports a variety of messengers. I'm also fond of Skype's messaging system. The ability to edit or remove lines is invaluable at times :p

10. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

I personally really didn't like Trillian. I used it on my old computer, but it always seemed to freeze and I didn't like the user interface. I'd probably try use Pidgin after reading this thread, but now everyone I know uses Steam or doesn't use anything.

11. danealegana

danealegana Member

I just want to add this to my previous post. I havent used Trillian but may opt to try it later. I have used Pidgin on my Ubuntu machine before and is great but I need video is not an otption with Pidgin using YM. I have tried a lot of fixes and hacks but it never worked so I still went to Windows and used Yahoo Mesenger. If yahoo messenger would just have some support on Linux that would be great.

12. kdlt

kdlt Member

Danealegana is right: Pidgin doesn't support video stuff. That's another reason I switch over to Skype sometimes. If only more of my friends, family and business contacts used Skype!

13. Camo75

Camo75 New Member

I don't know I this counts or not, but I use iMessage which comes with the iPad (and I think most other iDevices). It's so fast and handy since you can also message people using iPhones. So it's pretty much texting for free!

14. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

Never thought that there were so many instant messengers available. It's just recently that I have been exposed to other messengers. I have first used Yahoo Messenger back in high school and it somewhat stuck with me. I'm trying out other messengers but I still go back to using YM. It's a lot faster.

15. SirArgy

SirArgy New Member

Years ago, I used AIM and MSN messenger. I preferred MSN because of its customization capabilities. The games on MSN were also fun.

However, nowadays I use neither of them. I've drifted over to Facebook instant messaging. Even though it's buggy sometimes, most of my friends use Facebook, so it's the most convenient tool.

16. Ariel

Ariel New Member

I miss MSN so much. Custom emoticons, custom backgrounds, instant image sharing and games. Instant messengers nowadays don't have these features.

After MSN shut down, I've been using Skype. I guess one benefit Skype has over MSN is the ability to have groups without having to add participants every time they log in.

17. ozadin

ozadin Member

I used aim, and MSN chat a while ago. After that, I switched to Skype, and I'm still currently using it. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied, and don't see myself switching to another IM anytime soon.

18. miganders

miganders Member

Certainly Skype, even if I have some privacy concerns. (tinfoilhat)
    Their P2P message system is nice, as is the quality of video calls.

19. daenerys

daenerys Member

I'm with you @camo75! I almost exclusively use iMessage and I love it. I was able to cancel my texting play thanks to it, and I love how I can use my computer to text with it too. I have to use Google Voice and Gchat for a couple of my friends that don't have Apple devices, but at this point almost all of my friends do.

20. Nabs Hamid

Nabs Hamid Member

I love Skype more than most other programs. It's been there for a while, and it's very professional. I just hate how there are people hacking accounts.