Firefox 25 to bring a major redesign

Discussion in 'Applications' started by sonic, Jun 21, 2013.

1. sonic

sonic New Member

[​IMG]

Source

Can't say I like the new look. Rounded tabs make it look like chrome. I'm perfectly fine with how it looks now. What do you guys think?

2. nightsparks

nightsparks Member

Rounded tabs make it look like there is a lot of wasted real estate. I don't like that :( It doesn't look that bad, but meh. I've never really liked how Chrome looks, so I'm kinda sad Firefox is going that way. Why can't someone be unique anymore?

3. ozadin

ozadin Member

That looks very good, but I feel like they're copying Chrome a bit. The bookmarks are conveniently placed, the tabs look good, but they never really showed the main screen. I'm guessing it will be the same though. I might even switch to the new Firefox!

4. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

Yes. That looks a lot like Chrome. But the truth is that Firefox (as most browsers) has copied a lot from Chrome. Do you remember how web browsers used to look before Google Chrome? They all have a menu, status bar and some other stuff visible all the time. Chrome did a great job cleaning up the user interface and not to long after that the rest of the browsers started doing the same.

I like the way Firefox 21 looks right now.

5. nightsparks

nightsparks Member

Wasn't that sort of the purpose of Chrome though? Google wanted to force other browsers (especially IE) to step up their game and get with the times - more minimal/clean interface, better rendering, etc.

6. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Looks okay, I switched over from FF to Chrome about 4 months ago. Just seems like we just keep using more and more of Google's toys.

7. nightsparks

nightsparks Member

Yeah, we do. Google has some *great* toys though, but with them leading the way in innovation, it seems like everyone else has given up.

For example, RSS readers. Google Reader was a godsend, but now it's going the way of the dodo. Everyone is flocking to other readers, but to be honest, they all bloooowwww. I wanted a web based reader so I can use it on my tablet, phone, any computer, etc. I can't find one that works well and looks good. I tried a few and they're either slow as a glacier or look some some 90s throwback. No one really had reason to develop new ones because how the hell were they going to get any sort of a market share?

It's sad. Now browsers are doing that, too. Chrome came out to push innovation and make other browsers move into this decade. They did! Mission accomplished. Now, everyone wants to copy Chrome -.- "Oh, Chrome is the peak of innovation!...Let's do what they're doing!"

8. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

I know what you are saying. Google really innovated with Chrome and it looks like the rest of the browsers are just trying to keep pace with Google here and aren't really trying to make something new. The only exception was Opera. I always thought of them as the ones with the real innovation but this year (around April if I remember correctly) they announced that will drop the development of their own renderer and will start using the one Chrome uses. Now Opera will rely on Chrome, so what's the point of using Opera? Looks like they are pointing a gun to their own feet.

9. rashidckk

rashidckk Member

Right now I am using Google Chrome. I also use Firefox ocassionally but I haven't updated yet. If the new update is for making Firefox similar as Chrome then I don't want to update Firefox.

10. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

I haven't touched Firefox (or any other browser that is not Chrome) for so long now. Google Chrome pretty much gives what I need when it comes to internet browsing and the like. The upgrades are nice but I think I will still be sticking with my beloved Chrome.

11. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

Well, I exclusively use Mozilla Firefox when browsing the Internet using my netbook. It has everything that I need. Now I don't know what version of Firefox is installed in my netbook. If I'm not using the latest version, then I'll probably try and download the latest. I have no problem if they copied Chrome or not as long as it functions perfectly.

On a side note, I'm making this comment using Google Chrome on my mobile device. Lol.

12. daenerys

daenerys Member

I kind of like the OSX one, which would be the one I'd use, I just how browsers have taken steps over the years to minimize the top bar and maximize your webpage-viewing space. I haven't used Firefox in a long time though, it got too bloated on the PC and was quite slow. I've switched to OSX since then and I've used Safari ever since. I had to load Firefox to test websites for work a few times over the years though, and I thought Firefox still seemed pretty bloated in comparison. I won't switch to Chrome though, I don't like Google.

13. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

All these browsers are starting to look so much alike, I don't really get as excited about the visuals anymore. Hopefully these updates will also address the major memory leaks Firefox has been plagued with for years, and not just be cosmetic.

14. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

Without a doubt that is just Chrome. They should stick to their design. I have been a fan of rounded corners. I like them box as they are. I hope they will not change Firefox too much.

15. Chris_A

Chris_A New Member

Visuals in browsers should not really be that important. What is really important is security and utility. But I have to say that Firefox is my favorite browser hands down. They have an awesome library of add-ons that you can use with the browser, which make up for its few flaws.

outdoorgal likes this.
  16. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Member

Edited: I actually figured this out so no one needs to answer if they know what to do:) The add-on finally started showing up in my FF Tools (dropdown menu). It didn't at first, not sure why, but I suspect it was because I restarted later on in the day because of running my malwarebytes.

Ok Chris,

I'm thinking you're the guy that will help me on this latest addon to Firefox. I just added it this a.m. and it's calle Exif Viewer. It was suggested to me as I belong to a photography club online, and we post photos, and ask for critique. They need to have the Exif info, which you can get by right-clicking on a photo, and going to "properties". This can be a hassle because you have to take at least 4 clips of the info, to get it all. But with the addon in Firefox, you choose which info you need specifically, and Exif Viewer pulls it up. Then I just copy & past the info into my post.

Ok, here is my dilemma. The only way I have found the addon will work, is to save my photo to something like Photobucket. It makes sense because the addon is "in" Firefox, so the if the photo is opened in say Photoscape, the two aren't connected (FF and Photoscape I mean). I hope the makes sense, and you can tell me if there is any way I can view my photos, right from Pictures in Libraries, and still use the addon to get the info. I thought there was a way to open the photos in a browser, but I'm sure I am probably wrong. I can't figure it out though, so thought I would ask you when I saw your post;)

Thank you much, Denise

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  17. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

I cant wait for the redesign. There hasn't been a significant update to FireFox in quite some time. I can't wait to get my hands on this new version of FireFox.

18. Chris_A

Chris_A New Member

Hey, sorry I did not respond, been a few days since I posted on the forums. Anyway, the thing is, that I have never used the add-on you were talking about, so I could not have helped. Many Firefox add-ons have their quirks that you need to figure out when using them, and some interfere with other programs that you have installed on your PC. Glad you figured out what the problem was, though. Cheers! :D

19. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Member

Thank you Chris,

No problem about not getting back to me right away, I understand "busy", especially lately:) As I mentioned, I did figure it out. You are so right about the plugins/addons, as I have found, little tweaks need to be done sometimes, before I can get them to work. Plus the fact I am "self-taught" most things on a computer, so I sometimes it's just trial and error to learn. Hopefully not too much error. On Sunday, I accidentally deleted my gmail account, geesh!! I have two, and the other is the one I could sware I high-lighted for deletion, but nope, my main one was gone, poof! I read through some info, and found out there is a short, time-period that you can retrieve your email account. I was more then relieved, not that it would have been a huge loss, just a lot of work with places I am signed up through "that" email account.

thanks again Chris, have a great day! Denise