Firewall In Router?

Discussion in 'Security' started by danealegana, Sep 15, 2013.

1. danealegana

danealegana Member

Is it a good option to have everything setup securely on your router or just do it on your workstation?

I am actually thinking right now to double the security of my online presence by also securing my router.
    I am planning to get a new router that has the capability of securing my connection even more, lets say something what tomato can do, its firewall and others.

If you can suggest anything more which is way better please do, as I have not yet fully understand how this works.

2. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

I would check the documentation, but it might not be a good idea to run a firewall on your system as well as your router at the same time, could possibly cause some connection issues.

3. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I just stick with my router, but it has dd-wrt custom firmware so I could really tweak the settings for what I wanted.

Not sure how much or how secure typical router setups are with stock firmware since I have been using this for probably 4 years.

I wouldn't bother with the computer firewall. It just creates headaches unless you are on a weird network you don't trust.

4. thebeardlesswonder

thebeardlesswonder New Member

Do both. Setup the firewall on your router and also run the software firewall on your PC. This is seriously not something to be lazy about. A firewall is one of the easiest ways you can correctly secure yourself from a hacker.