Free Panda vs free AVG

Discussion in 'Security' started by LittleMiss, Apr 25, 2015.

1. LittleMiss

LittleMiss New Member

Does any one have any thoughts regarding this comparison? My copy of windows came with AVG. it seems pretty adequate so far. I have heard a lot of good things about Panda, though. I know people who absolutely swear by it! What do y'all think? Which one should I go with?

2. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

I hear Panda is good but I've never used it myself personally. I have, however, used AVG and am very familiar with it. I think it's good and it probably does the job in most cases but I certainly don't think it's the best. I'm guessing they gave you the paid version? Personally, my favourite antivirus at the moment is Avast. There's both a paid and free version available. I know it's better than AVG but I don't know about Panda. If you have the paid version of AVG then I wouldn't bother thinking about changing until your subscription runs out.

3. mairj23

mairj23 Member

I currently use AVG. It does the job pretty good and alerts me of any suspicious sites when I'm online. I never heard of panda though. Other anti-virus software just seems to slow your pc down as well. AVG is free and works just as good, if not better than the others.

4. GearZ

GearZ Member

I've had nothing but trouble with AVG in recent memory, so I shifted to Avast and MSE on some boxes and none on the Mac. I can't say I have recent experience with Panda as it is better part of a decade since I've used that system. But I couldn't be paid to use AVG at this point.

5. mairj23

mairj23 Member

I'm running windows 8.1. Everything seems to be going just fine so far. Let me knock on wood. Maybe it's because you're on a Mac.

6. GearZ

GearZ Member

Oh, my primary notebook is Mac OS X, but my office machines and primary home boxes are all Windows flavors (e.g., XP, Win 7, etc.). Most of my research on Windows 10 is in a virtual machine, but that is another topic.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

Our home computer has an AVG before and I'd say it is okay. A colleague has been using Panda and he had no complaints with the security except for the occasional ads that come up. Since our AVG was last installed some years ago (we now have a paid version of Symantec) I don't remember much about the ads but I'm sure there's also an ad in AVG. I'm glad that there are free anti-virus software online that gives ordinary users like me the convenience.

8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I never liked Panda really, feeling it's not as good as AVG, yet I don't longer like AVG either because I feel it is not providing full protection with the free version.

When it comes to antivirus, the best I have ever tried is Avira, and it's free. Even though there is also a PRO paid-version with more features.