Free vs Paid Antivirus Software

Discussion in 'Security' started by calebmelvern, Sep 24, 2013.

1. calebmelvern

calebmelvern New Member

There are a lot of free antivirus software with features that are almost comparable to their paid counterparts. Personally, I haven't shelled out any money for a paid antivirus software. I'm very cautious when I surf the net, and I think my free software does the job for me. But I'm not saying that paying for an antivirus software is stupid.

Have you tried any paid antivirus software? Or are you like me who only uses a free software?

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Only one I ever paid for before was Nod32. After my subscription ran out I switched over to Microsoft's MSE and have used it ever since. (4-5 years)

3. calebmelvern

calebmelvern New Member

I heard a lot of good things about Nod32 but I haven't tried it personally. I've been using Avast for about three years now and so far, I'm very satisfied with it. I also tried MSE and what I liked most about it was how easy it was on resources. The minimalist interface is also very nice.

4. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

Well I use AVG the free version and it works just fine I don't know how the other free ones compare, but to me their is no reason to buy an antivirus unless you want some of the extra features or something.

Corzhens likes this.
  5. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

I haven't seen any features in the paid versions of anti-virus software that would compel me to want to pay for them. As long as they scan for viruses on my system in real time, that is all I need. All these other extra features they tack on are redundant and useless, and in a majority of the cases they slow your system down just as much if not more than the actual malware does. AVG literally hijacks your browser home page just like malware does, for example.

6. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

For me I use Microsoft Essentials and for the last 3 years it has served me well so I do not see the essence of buying an antivirus. I am not totally against paid antivirus but if you are to go that way, do enough research about the antivirus before purchasing it. Furthermore, watch out for fake reviews.

7. Qamra

Qamra New Member

I had Kaspersky until June. I bought one CD with codes for 3 computers, I gave two to my parents. I can't complain, I'm using Avast at the moment because of some changes I made but I'm planning on purchasing Kaspersky again in January. It does the job well and is easy to control, definitely worth the money.

8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I have never thought it's worth to pay for an antivirus when you can get the same protection for free but without the bells and whistles that paid software has.

I have gotten however paid antivirus pre-installed with my computers some time, or provided by my ISP, and I had to remove them exactly due to excess of useless features, loads of system resource consumption, and annoying background processes.

I think the simplest is always the better if it serves to one's purposes.

9. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

I think that most of the free ones are more then good enough the only difference between the two is usually the ones you have to pay for have some extra features that you may or may not need as well as a nicer interface.

10. TheViper

TheViper Member

The only antivirus I bought ESET NOD and I haven't regretted it. I usually pay any antivirus with MalwareBytes just to be on the safe side.

11. Aditya Kulkarni

Aditya Kulkarni New Member

Free antivirus applications are actually good when it comes to a user who is having the device in a more secured environment, e.g. Office and Home.
    But, when it comes to people who are interacting with many other sources, like friends, family, relatives, etc., there are high chances of getting your device infected. In such scenarios, the antivirus program must be a paid one!!

12. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Member

I personally currently use Free Antivirus because I don't know any paid antivirus software that is significantly better.

I'm curious what TheViper means when he says I usually pay any antivirus with MalwareBytes just to be on the safe side, does anyone know?

13. chie

chie Member

It doesn't matter if the Anti-virus is free or paid, as long as the security it brings is superb. I once had a Norton Anti-virus (paid) and now I'm using Avira (free). There's no difference in performance and security. Both does not cause slowness in my navigation and all. I think the only difference between the two are the recognition of viruses and the availability of other features, i.e. if Avira sees an unknown virus or suspicious file, it does not always report it as virus infected.

14. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

AVG is the first anti-virus that we installed in our home computer. It is good since the upgrade is free via online. But when someone gave us a free installer of Symantec, we switched to that since it is supposed to be better because it is a paid anti-virus software. But with the effect, I cannot say if it is just the same or which is better. Hopefully our computer will not be infected with a virus with the paid anti-virus now otherwise it can be proven to be not that effective.