Gaming on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mvpmkpr, Aug 1, 2013.

1. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

Hello everyone, I was thinking about using Linux for my friend's new PC. He asked me to install an OS, but he has no money for Windows.

I am wondering what the state of Linux gaming is? He plays a lot of TF2 and Minecraft which I believe run fine, but he wants to venture even more into PC gaming.

Any advice/comments?

2. rashidckk

rashidckk Member

I was about to create a similar thread like this. Now I am watching this thread for the replies. I want a good free strategy game for ubuntu.

3. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

Well, there aren't really that many free strategy games out there. If you want RTS, they have Starcraft Brood War on Linux, as well as Age of Empires 2. I don't really play turn based strategy though.

4. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

Actually, I just read about people playing newer games like Starcraft II through Wine and other such programs. Apparently, they get more FPS on Linux than they do on Windows, pretty interesting. I think that like this Linux gaming just may be going some where....

5. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Valve I think released Dota2, TF2, not sure about CS:GO, but a ton of their games on steam now run on Linux. They probably run fine on Ubuntu, dunno about other distributions.

6. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

I have tried Team Fortress 2 on Ubuntu back when I had a really bad computer. The game ran very badly on Windows, but strangely enough was working great on Ubuntu. Props to Steam for supporting Linux!

7. zolppi

zolppi New Member

I hope Valve would support Linux 2 years ago when I had old Linux laptop. Back then I was struggling with Wine and PlayOnLinux etc. Now I have Windows 7 gaming pc, but I still sometimes run Ubuntu on virtual machine, just because I like the look of Ubuntu.

8. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

Wine is pretty impressive, I got Starcraft Brood War working on my old PC, and my friend frequently runs games through Wine on his Mac.

9. danealegana

danealegana Member

Everything seems to rely on Wine when it comes to Linux gaming since most of game companies havent ported out their games for Linux. But there are a few really good games that is native to Linux like Urban Terror.

10. white4sj

white4sj New Member

Last I checked there weren't too many games for Linux. If he will be using it as a gaming PC he may want to save up and get Windows.

The new Steam Box from Valve is built on Linux though. So the future for games on Linux is bright. In terms of PC gaming, Windows is king. You could install Linux then try installing games with Wine, but in my experience it doesn't produce the best results. It could be worth a shot though. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything.