Going from XP to Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows' started by DancingLady, Oct 21, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLady New Member

When I bought my new computer, I transitioned from XP to Windows 8 instantly. I had no experience with computers of any other version because I was not in school anymore and did very little on the computer anyway. I found there were a LOT of changes, but so far I think I am figuring things out.

Initially I had a really hard time finding things since so much had changed. I kind of miss how easy XP was to use though, Windows 8 seems over complicated to me.

2. TheViper

TheViper Member

I can understand finding it difficult going from XP to something like Windows 8. The simple fact is that I love the ease of use that came with XP. You can even customize it to look completely different if you wanted to. There are some that actually have two OS installed on their PC and rotate between the two. Though, I would say if you are more comfortable with XP then go back to it.

3. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Yeah the difference is pretty large, though Microsoft dropped support for XP last April. So I dunno if you would want to go back.

4. DancingLady

DancingLady New Member

XP is basically worthless because shortly after they dropped support for it, I could no longer load twitter, it just said page could not be displayed, even though I was connected to the internet and everything. Pretty soon more and more sites were like that till I just had to buy a new computer.

5. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Member

I had some initial difficulties as well with the transfer and i even got to the point where i was thinking of going back to my previous system. It was just so different and took a long time for me to understand some of the basic features and being able to navigate at a fair rate using it. I am about 90% comfortable using it right now, i get frequent messages asking to upgrade to 8.1 and i am a little hesitant to go there as i do not know what lies ahead with this . I will remain here until i am at the 100% comfort mark with it.

6. missbishi

missbishi Member

I felt the same as you going from 7 to 8. Changing from XP to 7 was seamless for me but the transition from 7 to 8 was a nightmare at work (I'm a helpdesk administrator). Good news though, Windows 10 features the Start menu and looks a lot more user friendly.

7. GearZ

GearZ Member

You might try installing Classic Shell. It is free and turns the UI/UX back to close to what you experienced in XP. Without it, I find 8 pretty much worthless on a traditional PC or notebook.

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

That ease of use is the reason why I am sticking to XP. There is a saying that if it ain't broke, why fix it. So why would I upgrade when my XP is serving me well? In the office, we have to upgrade to Windows 7 as per company policy. But there are old programs that would only run on XP. I have created another thread on this matter. But anyway, XP has no more support so what we can do is learn the new Windows version.