Google Play Store

Discussion in 'Android' started by useruseruser, Apr 12, 2014.

1. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

What do you guys think of the Google Play store. I don't think that it is very well moderated. There are a lot of apps that have viruses on them and things of that nature. I want to know what you guys think!

2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayer New Member

Yeah, I don't know if its not very well moderated or the QA is just horrible, either way I think they have to do something with the barrage of crappy apps in their store, sure they're all free but goddamn, they should start checking on them.

3. thebeardlesswonder

thebeardlesswonder New Member

It isn't moderated that's the openness of android. The enter basis of the OS is that its open and anyone can create apps for it.

4. stardisgate

stardisgate New Member

I prefer Aptoide. I just love the fact that I can find a lot of free games on it. The only issue is that you need to make sure you get the most up to date version of the app.

5. white4sj

white4sj New Member

I've been with Android for several years and I've never had any problems with viruses. Google will allow pretty much anything but it does do a good job filtering bringing the good stuff to the top.

6. Oogles

Oogles Member

I've also been using Android for years now and I've never had much problems about anything other than an occasionally bad application that got to the top of the results. I've never had any viruses even though I always download a lot of things from the Google Play Store. Although I do agree that the play store can sometimes look a little messy and not as slick as the Apple store. But I like Android a lot and it has loads of applications too. Seems good enough for me. :)

7. ~TheDarkKnight~

~TheDarkKnight~ New Member

The biggest gripe I have with the Play Store is the atrocious categorization. There are so many hidden gems on the Play Store that you just can't discover from searching the Play Store unless you hear about one from a blog. Don't understand why games creep into the apps section or why under the recommendations section most are adult books(not just for me, I've asked around).

8. Dez97

Dez97 New Member

I've actually never had a problem with viruses from the apps that I download at the Google play store, they haven't been much of a problem for me. Although the one thing that I do hate are the apps that have commercials, or other adds on them that annoys me but I've gotten over that.

9. TainaF

TainaF New Member

Wow, the play store has viruses. My phone does these bug reports often sometimes. I thought at the time it was because I caught a bug. I have a google phone by the way. I found out it was because of the volume and the power button being hit unknowingly.

10. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Member

I've been an Android phone user for years now and yes, I've encountered some problematic apps as well from the Play Store. I guess the problem is not entirely with the Play Store, but it mainly comes from the App Developer. They should be the one to be blamed. That's just my take on it.

11. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

Yea, the Google Play store is open source and doesn't really have any security restrictions which can sometimes be quite problematic. However, the SlideMe Android market, which was around before Google Play, does have restrictions and is moderated and therefore the quality of apps there is much higher and the chances of downloading malicious software are much lower.

12. maniacmaran

maniacmaran New Member

Im on team Apple, but i used to own a google pc tablet, until i accidently dropped it a few weeks ago, but now i'm back on Apple. Yes, there are lots of apps with viruses and too many ads on them, i agree with that, but as far as the music selections and movies, it's better than the App Store. I have found songs on google play that I couldn't find on iTunes. They give you more time to listen to the snippets than then itunes does. and they have a whole lot more music apps than the AppStore and best of all..most are free. I like the way that iTunes and the App Store look, but i think that google play wins in terms of the app and music game. Anyone else agree with me or am I alone in this?.. Yes, No, Okay... I'll wait...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

I'm not really that familiar with Apple's app store but have been taking a look recently because I've bought an iPhone for my daughter for Christmas. From what I can see I definitely agree with you - the Apple store seems more expensive, the quality and variation of apps available doesn't seem anywhere near as good as on Google Play and it looks and functions a lot less professionally than Google Play. I've actually never been a fan of Apple devices (whether Mac, iPhone or iPad) and have always stayed well away from them and this just confirms for me that I made the right choice!

14. bigbrain50

bigbrain50 New Member

Wouldn't say that its not well moderated, but remember there are 10s of thousands of apps available via the app store, and it wouldn't be possible to monitor and screen every last one of them, that is why your feedback comments are ratings are so important. When you give it a 5 star rating and comment, hey good app, easy to use etc, others know its safe to use and will meet their needs, if you give it a one star rating and say hey this is a virus, etc others will know not to use it.

15. mairj23

mairj23 Member

I've been there a few times and it's not for me. I'm just not a Google guy I guess. I get all my music from YouTube.

16. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I honestly believe that Google has turned into Jack of all trades and master of none, therefore moderating the content of the Play Store is something that they do not care or can't handle properly because what really matters to them seems to be having money rolling in.

Indeed, there are countless apps that either have viruses, are not well-coded causing trouble to whom ever install them, or simply are pirated versions of an already existing app, but you see how things are going on there, not to mention that Play Store is not friendly for devices with old Android versions.

Google pushes people to make accessible websites and they don't do anything with theirs, always wanting that people have up-to-date operating systems or latest software versions without realizing that not all people can afford to have them or simply don't want to upgrade being comfortable with the versions they have.

It's not about having the latest, but about having what serves to one's purpose, and this seems to be ignored by Google wanting to enforce what they want.

17. surya kumar

surya kumar New Member

Google play store is some way good. May be some game apps and some other apps which came from newly developed apps that may neglizible. Other than play store I've used one which lags phone. So it's better Play store for androoid.