Great Unix books?

Discussion in 'Unix' started by Clanky, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Clanky

Clanky New Member

I want to get deeper into Unix, so I want to learn about Unix commands and stuff. Are there any books you can recommend? I mainly want to learn about the basic commands etc., I won't use Unix for servers, but for developing reasons.

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Pretty much everything I have learned about UNIX has come through school or just playing around with its different variants. Though this resource might help you a bit if you are just starting off. http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

3. GearZ

GearZ Member

If you are brand new to Unix, a couple I would recommend are:

A Practical Guide to the Unix System, by Mark G. Sobell. It quite dated at this point, but it will help you learn the fundamentals. It was the book we used when I was in the introduction to Unix when I was in college and I still have a copy.
    UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook (4th Edition), by Evi Nemeth and Garth Snyder. This is the latest, as far as I know, in the venerable line of this series. It covers the principles of system administration in the world of Unix.

Also, there is no substitute to mucking around with a copy. I cut my teeth, Unix-wise, on SunOS and Solaris, so I still use that distro. However, there are plenty of other options these days, not the least of which FreeBSD. Hope that helps.