How to install applications without internet?

Discussion in 'Ubuntu' started by rashidckk, Jun 2, 2013.

1. rashidckk

rashidckk Member

I am very new to this open source OS Ubuntu. I have only experience with Windows. Recently I installed Ubuntu and found many basic apps like media player are absent. My question is, is it possible to install apps to Ubuntu without internet connection and by using flash drives or discs?

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Yeah you can install applications still. Just transfer them over like you said with usb drives or discs.

3. rashidckk

rashidckk Member

But how? What are file extensions compatible with Linux?

4. quark

quark New Member

You can also you a LAN cable. Not sure what you're asking, but couldn't you just find some apps that you know is working with Ubuntu and just send it over?

5. Hotsumaro

Hotsumaro Living Encyclopedia

.deb packages

6. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

You'll want to download .deb packages from the Ubuntu repository. They have a website from where you can download packages: http://packages.ubuntu.com/. From here you select your Ubuntu version whether it's 12.04, 12.10, 13.04 etc. and you'll be presented with a list of categories. Choose a category based on what you're looking for. Then you'll be presented with a list of programs. Choose the one you need and download the amd64 package if you have a 64-Bit system or the i386 package if you're using 32-Bit. The file that's downloaded will end it .deb. Take this deb file and put it on a USB. Plug that USB onto your Ubuntu system. Put the file on your desktop and from there right click the file and open it with the Ubuntu software center. Near the top right there'll be an install option. This will install the package for you with a nice indicator bar to let you know when its done.

Basically you're downloading the program, putting it on a USB and putting it on the Ubuntu system. That's the easiest way to do it without internet.

Hope this helps,
    ~Sly