HTC One has no SD card slot - does this turn you off?

Discussion in 'Android' started by lindbergh, Aug 20, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

The HTC One is a very stylish smartphone that is in direct competition with the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the iPhone 5. However, there is one glaring flaw - it does not have a memory card slot like that of Apple products. That means that all of the things that you wish to save would be stored in the phone memory. Is this a turnoff for you?

2. Symthic

Symthic Member

Yes, the HTC One has all the features I want, but I feel that this combined with it's battery life brings the phone back a lot, which has stopped me from making a purchase.

3. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Yeah not having an SD card is pretty huge. What is the GB size on a HTC One anyways?

4. lindbergh

I'm not sure but I think that the internal memory is actually pretty big. I think it's about 16 or 32 GB. Though it has a lot of internal memory, it pales in comparison to phones that have the same capacity but have an external memory card slot like the Galaxy S4 or the Note 2.

5. BCH

BCH New Member

No. I've been using the Nexus 4 16 GB for 8 months now and I've never once missed the SD card slot. I really do not get this obsession with SD card slots, if you have enough storage space it's pointless.

6. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

It wouldn't really be a deal breaker for me. I hate fumbling around with the tiny cards anyhow - and I've even broke a few of them in the process. All you really need to do is connect it via a USB port and upload and download stuff to your phone anyhow - no need to be popping cards in and out.

7. lindbergh

I primarily use SD cards to store my music, movies, pictures and other files like pdfs and word documents while the internal memory is exclusively used for apps and games. For those not being additional memory space, then it's no problem. But for those craving for more, it's definitely a problem.

8. Jaxter

Jaxter New Member

It is definitely a turn off to me and one of the primary reasons why I chose the S4 over the HTC one because there wasn't an option for expandable storage. In fact, just a few weeks ago I had already run out of room on my S4 internal memory since I take so many photos on my phone it was eating so much space. Luckily I had the option to move many photos and apps onto my SD card and I was able to solve the problem there.

I'm not sure why not every phone allows for expandable storage. It just seems like it should be a given in this day and age.

9. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

For me I don't mind not having the SD card I don't need a lot of space I only store a little music, but I mostly keep pictures of my art work!

10. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

So long as it has some good internal memory, then I would not mind that it does not have a SD slot. If you can not fill up the internal memory why do you need the extra memory on SD? Just saying.

11. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

So long as it has some good internal memory, then I would not mind that it does not have a SD slot. If you can not fill up the internal memory why do you need the extra memory on SD? Just saying.

12. babyleans

babyleans New Member

i never knew this at all. i used to love it but know after you said that then yea i'm very disappointed. i have no idea what they try to achieve by not having a memory card slot on a phone. galaxy s4 wins!!!

13. LifeOrDeath

LifeOrDeath New Member

Not really. It's pretty standard. Most cellphones running android don't actually have a sd card slot available due to the fact that flag ship models tend to have much larger capacities. So it doesn't really turn me off.

14. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Member

It's not really a turn off for me, but rather, I'd like to say that I don't prefer it. Sure, the internal memory might go from 16 to 32 GB, but I still like the idea of having an SD card to make it more easier to transfer files and reduce the risks of my files being gone after a master reset.

15. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

It seems a little strange that the HTC One doesn't have an SD card slot when most of their older devices (Desire, etc) do have one. I guess they thought the extra internal memory would be large enough - however, apps (particularly games by top developers) are becoming increasingly larger in size in order to cater for quality. I have seen games on Google Play that take up 8GB or more on your SD card! Personally I like HTC and wouldn't mind an HTC One. If storage became an issue I would use a service like Dropbox to back up my files and access them when needed. I had a play around with an HTC One recently, it was a tidy phone but there are a few drawbacks. In my experience, HTC batteries don't seem to last long at all but I guess the battery can also be upgraded to a higher capacity one.

16. bigbrain50

bigbrain50 New Member

Well with 32/64GB of internal space, I'm wondering if not having a SD card slot is such a big deal, besides the best selling smartphone in the world ( Iphone) has never had a memory card slot either and its still the number one choice in terms of phones, so no it wouldn't affect my choice to purchase it, what would affect my choice is the battery life, which isn't very good.