Image editor

Discussion in 'Applications' started by caparica007, Sep 26, 2013.

1. caparica007

caparica007 Member

I need to edit images from time to time and I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager. It's pretty simple and effective, but sometimes I feel it's a little limited. Can you suggest me a free software to edit pictures and images? Thanks!

2. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

I was very impressed with Pixlr. It is a brower based image editor that has a look and feel very similar to Photoshop, plus you don't need to install anything. I found it even easier to use than Paint.net and some of the other programs out there.

caparica007 likes this.
  3. caparica007

caparica007 Member

Never heard of Pixlr before, I am going to check it out, thanks @OhioTom76. ;)

4. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

I have never used Pixlr I don't need to do a lot of image editing, but I have heard it's a great tool and easy to use maybe someday I will have a use for it.

5. caparica007

caparica007 Member

I am writing contents for a tennis website and mostly I need to re-size pictures, but from time to time some effects would be nice and that is why I will try Pixlr when I need it. If it is like Photoshop it will do just fine.

6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I dislike most Microsoft applications because many of them seem to be outdated (even if they are up-to-date) or they are system intensive as the Microsoft Office Suite.

On the other hand I recognize that Photoshop is leader in graphic edition, same as its freeware counterpart The Gimp, but I found these two image editors to complex for my modest graphic needs.

Since over a decade ago I'm using Neopaint as my main graphics editors. This is a shareware program that was first available for MS-DOS back in the 1990s, when my parents bought my first PC that came packed with this operating system and very interesting graphical applications, not just plain text-based programs, as many of those for DOS were.

The fact is that I eventually upgraded my system the so then new Windows 3, and keep upgrading Windows since, but Neopaint for Windows came along the way.

Besides using Neopaint to edit and create graphics, I use another freeware application for quick image manipulation, IrfanView, which is basically an image viewer, but includes basic options for image edition and retouch.

7. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

Photoshop is a great piece of software, but it's not free like Pixlr Photoshop is a must for any animator or photographer.

8. caparica007

caparica007 Member

I have never heard of Neopaint or InfanView, I will check them out, thanks @MyDigitalpoint.

9. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

No problem caparica,

You will find that they are very useful application and, best of all, is that they do not need loads of system resources to get the load and working.

This is really a time saving advantage when there is no need to use all the tools, filters and more than Photoshop and The Gimp have.

10. pandandesign

pandandesign Member

There's an Android app that I use on my phone for image/photo editing, which is called Camera360. It offers great editing options for photos and images, as well as you're able to take pictures and select the best quality possible for them. I really like it so far, which I often use it for taking pictures and image editing.

11. NiaIsabelle

NiaIsabelle New Member

There are a bunch of online editing sites. Just search it on google. You can use PhotoScape which you can download free online. Pixlr is originally an app but it is available online. You can also transfer you pictures on your phone and download Camera360 and a bunch of photo editing software. The Play Store and App Store has unlimited photo editing software. Good Luck!

12. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

If you want to do some heavy editing I would go with GIMP. If your just looking to touch up your photos, Pixlr is a good option. I use both semi-regularly. I hope I helped.

13. kenbrace

kenbrace New Member

I nice online photo editor is Befunky. It's light and feature rich. Great for touching up a photo.

If you're wanting to do some serious photoshoping you'd probably want to go with a desktop app. Corel Paintshop is pretty good but the downside is that it does cost money. GIMP on the other hand is free and nice to use as well.