Installing Windows through USB sticks

Discussion in 'Windows' started by mvpmkpr, Jul 26, 2013.

1. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

I needed to install Windows a few months ago, and didn't have a DVD drive included in my PC build. I looked online to find an alternative way to install Windows, and I found out that you can actually install Windows by using a USB stick, just like you can install Linux.

Here is how you do it. First off, you must have an official Windows Operating system disk or an ISO file.

Then download this program - http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Follow the simple instructions it gives you and you're good to go. It's pretty simple, just make sure that you have a good USB stick that has relatively fast speeds, and make sure that you have at least 8gb of space.

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I install Windows 7/8 the same way, much much faster than installing from disk!

3. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

I'm not sure if it's faster, but it sure is convenient. I hate optical media, discs always break/get scratched and DVD drives are hard to install (damn SATA cables!)

4. rashidckk

rashidckk Member

Yes, I installed Windows 7 and Ubuntu in my PC using the mentioned way. USB installation is quick and tension free. In case of CDs/DVDs, there's chance of interruption during installation because of scratches and other.

5. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

Ah, I forgot about that. Good point, I remember the pain of installing Windows XP on a scratchy broken CD, constantly switching through 2 disks. Installation like that, is hell.

6. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

I did this a few times as well when testing out Windows 8 on some spare computers. It is indeed much faster, especially if you are using USB 3.0. I can't remember the last time I burned a DVD. I think many computers these days are going to start coming without optical drives.

7. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

Hm, I have never used USB 3.0 in my life, and I don't have USB 3.0 compatible motherboard either. Still, even on 2.0 it was a pretty fast install. I too don't use DVDs anymore, since they get wrecked easily.

8. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

You might even be able to install Windows to the USB stick itself, though I have never tried to do that. I did something like that with Ubuntu however. I've also ran "portable" cracked apps of my USB stick.

9. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

There is an easier tool to use other than the mentioned above. I use poweriso that works very well for me. Download the latest poweriso software which has the USB feature added. You simply choose the image and the USB drive then let the program do the rest.

10. Ahriman

Ahriman Member

Wow, I'm glad I came upon this topic. I'm building a new system right now and I was dreading having to drop the inevitable 10-20 dollars on an optical drive I would never ever use again. This will work for all motherboards, right? For reference the system I'm building will be using a Asus F2a85-M PRO.

11. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsu New Member

I must be the only fella out here who still likes having a physical media anymore in the way of CDs and DVDs. I hate only having a digital download, as I've lost stuff too much that I only had on a hard drive with an accidental drive crash or whatever. While backups are good to have, sometimes stuff happens before you can make a backup, or if you're rebuilding a system, your backup isn't easily available. Also have had more than my share of USB drives and SD cards dying on me or corrupting the files I put on them so they're unusable. Whereas with a CD or DVD, being careful with them eliminates most potential problems, and having a resurfacer takes care of most of the rest of the problems. My biggest problem with the thought of getting a netbook is not having an optical drive for playin DVDs on or having to rebuild the system from a thumb drive when the time comes for that.

12. Ahriman

Ahriman Member

I use to be like you, Redneckjiujitsu but I eventually realized it saved me a lot of money and time waiting by switching to digital. I also had to deal with people I lived who frequently stole and pawned game CDs I had, despite maybe getting less than 5$ for them. In my situation I was unable to take any action against these people due to bad circumstances so I was forced to go all digital for my games, utilizing steam etc. Eventually I realized it was super convenient doing this and I saved a lot more money.

Precautions can be made to preserve CDs and dvds but its also simpler, in my opinion, to go digital.

13. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

I was able to install Windows from a USB I believe. It should be like any other operating system. Just get an 8GB or larger USB stick, and burn the ISO to the drive. Programs used for burning Linux ISO's tend to work just the same, but general purpose ones will work too.

14. olivingston

olivingston New Member

I have done this often using UltraISO, which is just like PowerISO. Great programs that make the task simple and effective. OS install is very rapid, making trying out different OSes a snap.

15. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

This is really helpful. I was looking into doing something like this so thanks for the information. I hope that Microsoft make installing an OS through a usb easier in the future.

16. Ahriman

Ahriman Member

I installed Windows 7 via usb for my current new system and it was very easy plus it saved me a little bit of cash (no obsolete dvd drive!)

17. Oogles

Oogles Member

I use this method most of the time when I'm reformatting my pc or someone's PC. Although I used to do it the old way using the DVD reader and stuff. But then my PCs DVD reader broke and people in my house started buying laptops instead of desktops. So one day I tried using a USB stick for installing win 7 and viola! never went back to DVDs. Another great thing about this is that I can easily install any OS on older PCs cause I don't have to worry about them having CD-roms instead of DVD-roms anymore. :smuggrin: And also since I usually use Kill Disk first before installing a new OS I don't have to keep opening the Disk tray to change the Disk.

18. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Member

I find that using a thumbdrive for installation works much faster than discs. Especially since Discs seem to no longer be relevant when it comes to laptops.

19. themonk3y

themonk3y New Member

You are right optical drives are loosing their importance/use in day to day activity. I have had this laptop for over 1 year and 8 months now and during this time I only used the optical drive once which was when I wanted to installed a game on it. It wont be a big surprise if they started to create laptops and computers without optical drives now as to most of the people they are almost use less.

20. Jojo83

Jojo83 New Member

I've used a USB thumb drive when I reformatted a Windows 8 laptop. I used a program called Rufus and it makes it easy to format a USB thumb drive with the ISO of the Windows OS. It's much faster this way and more convenient.