Is Mac OK for gaming?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by calebmelvern, Sep 24, 2013.

1. calebmelvern

calebmelvern New Member

I'm planning to buy a new laptop this Christmas and I'm really considering a Mac. I haven't owned an Apple product before, but I've heard a lot of great things about OS X. What I'm worried about is if it's OK for gaming. I'm an avid video gamer and I could get a high end Windows laptop for the same price as the Mac. But if Mac isn't bad for gaming, then I'll surely buy one.

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

2. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

If your going to be doing any kind of gaming I would stay away from all laptops because not only do they run hot, but they cannot be upgraded if you want to play games the only way to go is build your own desktop not only is it cheaper, but you get more bang for your buck if you need help on building one let me know.

3. calebmelvern

calebmelvern New Member

That's a good point. I'm also considering getting a gaming desktop instead of a laptop. However, the laptop would be very useful as I usually travel and need to carry a laptop with me wherever I go. I only have enough money to buy either a laptop or a desktop.

Thanks for pointing that out. I would certainly consult you if I decide to purchase a desktop.

4. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

No problem I would only recommend getting a laptop if it's for basic needs and I would only recommend getting a MacBook if you plan on doing things like sound and video editing etc... I hope this was helpful

5. calebmelvern

calebmelvern New Member

Yes, one friend also told me that I should only get a Mac if I'm into video editing. I am not, but I am really curious about how great a Mac is. The price is really holding me back, though. And the fact that I can get a gaming desktop for a much cheaper price. Thanks again!

6. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

To be honest I would not recommend getting a Mac then unless you have extra money to burn you can get a good laptop for half the price and will do all your needs.

7. scottman

scottman New Member

For most games, you'd probably want a PC. I play tf2 on the mac, it works fine and is free to play!

8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I believe that a MAC may have the power and high quality to play games, problem is that developers keep releasing more tittles for PC rather than MAC despite Apple's computers are everyday more popular thanks to their mobile devices.

9. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

I stopped looking at the specs of MAC's unless I am building my own hackintosh the last time I looked the problem with gaming on a MAC is not only the lack of games, but they tend to not have the best GPU's installed so no playing games on ultra, but they do tend to have good processors which make them good for video editing.

10. pandandesign

pandandesign Member

It depends what kind of game do you play on the Mac, which also depends on whether or not the Mac will support that game. I think it's ok to some extend, however, I would recommend gaming on Windows because it's much better.

11. Seiryu

Seiryu Member

Like everyone else, the answer is "it depends". Depends on what you may ask? Well it depends on how heavy a gamer you are. If you can see yourself gaming for at least an hour every day, then I would say, "No, a Mac is not sufficient for you." This is because gaming is plausible on a Mac, but if you are a constant gamer then it would be more worth it to get a PC. With a Mac you can play a lot of major games like League of Legends or Dota2 and you can play a lot of indie games like Don't Starve, Binding of Isaac, etc. but in between it's hard, and a lot of triple AAA games like Max Payne 3 will not run on a Mac.

12. mjhunter23

mjhunter23 New Member

Not for more serious gaming. When I had a mac I found you could play some games but they were only ever small app store games and mini games like tetris

13. dammzyy

dammzyy New Member

As soon as I seen "avid gamer" I instantly said no to myself. If you want to game, properly, you will need a GOOD windows laptop or preferably a desktop unless you want to fork out an extra $2.5K a year. I game with laptops but trust me, it is not cheap as they're not upgrade-able and when a new model comes out, you basically NEED to get it.

14. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

No, you should aim for a Windows laptop but a PC would be ideal. To be honest, Linux is a better option than Mac. The gaming support for Mac just isn't there yet.