Is Windows 8 difficult to understand?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by catwalker90, May 23, 2013.

1. catwalker90

catwalker90 New Member

I'm planning on getting a new laptop and the one I want comes with Windows 8. I tried it out at the store and it seemed confusing. Maybe after I use it a lot I will understand it better, but it just seems unnecessarily confusing. Is it as confusing as it seems?

2. Nabs Hamid

Nabs Hamid Member

If you're new to computers, it may be rather difficult. But so long as you've been using computers for a while, you'll be fine. It's not that difficult and there are many tutorials and answered questions found on Google.

3. rage35

rage35 Member

Microsoft new realese Windows 8 seems quite confusing to some people who are used to the old interface of Windows. It takes awhile before you will be used to the new interface of Windows 8. It's a bit confusing at the start but you will get to know Windows 8 along the way. It's just a normal thing that you will find it a bit confusingat first but I am sure, you will love Windows 8.

caparica007 likes this.
  4. kdlt

kdlt Member

Catwalker90: If I was in the market for a new computer, I would personally visit somewhere like newegg.com and get a Windows 7 CD (assuming they're in stock still.) I really dislike Windows 8, am not fond of the learning curve, and find myself getting annoyed any time I try to use my desktop with it on it. I might be overreacting but when I'm on a computer, it's to get things done. I can't very well get things done if I have to stop every few minutes out of annoyance!

5. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

It's quite easy to understand and familiarize as long as you have a user guide with you when you start. There are a lot of gestures and shortcuts that you have familiarize in order to efficiently use Windows 8. For example, should you want to shut down your computer, you need to go to the charms menu first by either pressing Windows + C or hovering your mouse to the right.

Once you get to master the OS, trust me, it'll be a great experience.

6. PurpleGuardian

PurpleGuardian Member

I don't know I've never used it but I think it's fairly simple. I mean it's a big change from the normal format, but you should be familiar with the set up if you have used an Xbox360 Dashboard.

7. ozadin

ozadin Member

Yeah, it kind of does look like the interface in the Xbox 360 dashboard. I haven't tried Windows 8 yet, but I really like the look of it in my opinion. I heard it's just like Windows 7, but better.

8. Arkayde

Arkayde New Member

It's not confusing at all. You should be able to easily navigate through the basic components in as little as a year's time of learning.

9. AvalonX

AvalonX New Member

Windows 8 is a mess. It is convoluted for the sake of forcing a new UI down your throat. You cannot actually do much in the Metro so you will be forced to keep switching back and forth to run your programs. There is no start button however dragging the mouse over to where the start button used to be and right clicking will give you many options they took out of the start button. It's not you, it is confusing because it is flawed.

10. rashidckk

rashidckk Member

As I have got desktop PC I never tried to upgrade Windows 7. But from my friends those who use Windows 8 I can understand that it is a very good OS with excellent performance. As you said, starting with Windows 8 would be confusing but after few days you certainly love your OS.

11. daenerys

daenerys Member

I thought you didn't even have to use the whole Live Tile section of the OS if you didn't want to. Can't you avoid it entirely and have a Windows experience that's pretty similar to 7?

12. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

I agree with this. If you don't like the Windows 8 interface, then you could just enable the boot to desktop option. With that, the only situations where you'd be seeing the Live Tiles section is when you accidentally press the Windows button or if you want to search for a specific program on your computer.

13. daenerys

daenerys Member

That'd be kind of ridiculous to upgrade to Windows 8 just to get the Windows 7 experience in it. Sounds like it's not worth the upgrade yet.

14. AvalonX

AvalonX New Member

I didn't think there was a boot to desktop mode yet, is that possible? Anyway, I went and caved in and installed classic start menu from Ninite. It was worlds easier than trying to train anyone on using the stock OS. It's not really the live tiles that are the problem, its the back and forth which is not intuitive.

15. Seiryu

Seiryu Member

I feel as though Windows 8 is fairly easy to pick up and learn provided you have a bit of an aptitude for these kind of things. The hardest part would probably be getting used to the new Start Menu (the windows that scroll left-right). When I was tinkering with Windows 8, that was really the hardest feature for me to adjust to, simply because I've been using Windows since 95 at least, and the start menu has always been a constant throughout the versions.

16. caparica007

caparica007 Member

I work on a university IT help-desk and I get to see quite a few computers with Windows 8. Main complains I have seen is about accessing programs easily and the missing start button. It is a big change, I'd say a new paradigm for the touchscreen, so I guess it will take a while for most people get used to.

17. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

Not at all. People make Windows 8 look worse than it actually is. It's pretty much "WAAAHHHH WHY IS WINDOWS 8 NOT WINDOWS XP!!!". It's probably the most easy to use OS ever made by Microsoft.

wowtgp likes this.
  18. wowtgp

wowtgp New Member

While some people overreact over Windows 8, I would respectfully disagree with your statement about it being the most easy OS ever. It's not!

I have been trying to get the hang off it ever since I have bought it.

19. caparica007

caparica007 Member

It might be easy to use, but I can only say what I have experienced, many users were accustomed to something very different and now they don't know how to operate it. And you have a prove, In Windows 8.1 the start button returns, so they are making amendments.

20. vaibhav402

vaibhav402 New Member

Apart from the start screen, windows 8 is essentially the same as Windows 7 in terms of UI. However, if you are a fan of the old start menu, it can be a huge turn off. The menu is designed to integrate tablets and desktop into one (which is not a bad thing). I found it to have a bit of a learning curve. But once you understand how it works, it not an issue at all. Its actually well designed and aesthetically pleasing. If you are a fan of the old start menu, just download the "Classic Shell". Its for free, takes zero resources and makes your PC like windows 7. In the sense that it boots directly into the desktop and pressing the "Win" key will trigger the old start button as opposed to the metro UI. But I do recommend getting Win8 since its a good performance improvement over windows 7. Win8+Classic shell = A better and faster Win7. Not to forget that they added the Ribbon UI to the file explorer which I think is a really nice and meaningful addition.