Is Windows 8 difficult to understand?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by catwalker90, May 23, 2013.

1. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

I like that interface for a tablet (like the surface) but not for a desktop machine. It may be that I'm just too used to the way Windows has always been (it has changed over the time but essentially Windows 7 is the same as Windows XP with a few things on different places) and so when I have used Windows 8 I have always struggled to find my way. Even simple things like open a command window seem hard on Windows 8.

I know there should be a learning curve to it but I have no interest on learning :D

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

Just install something like Classic Shell and your windows 8 will be pretty close to windows 7 minus a few annoying specifics (booting options, side screen popup's). Plus now you can disable in the windows 8.1 preview if you have it. :playful:

3. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

Windows 8 will only be difficult of you are new to Windows but since Windows is widely used it will not be an issue. Windows 8 has more simplified functions you can use to achieve any tasks that you may want asap plus the user interface is top notch. I can guarantee you will like it.

4. caparica007

caparica007 Member

To be honest I'm starting to enjoy Windows 8. Using the Windows button is actually pretty practical and things seem to be faster to get to than on Windows 7. It's growing on me. :)

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

I suppose it has to be faster and enjoyable when you use it just for fun, as tablets.

I could not stand using it when I tried to get my job caught up using Windows 8 in my sister's computer.

6. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

For me it took some time to get used to like anything new you come across just give your self time to adjust and it will become easy just like anything in life the more you work at something the easier it becomes.

7. caparica007

caparica007 Member

I am really a reactionary, if something works I don't change... :D But as I have to deal with many different computers daily I am getting accustomed to it, even Macs. Well, except for Linux.

8. Nevermore

Nevermore New Member

It may look confusing at first, but using it's not difficult at all, the only big difference is the start screen, and you can see it as a full screen start menu. Heck, I like it even more than the old start menu, but if you don't like it you can always install Start8 (or something similar) to solve the issue. It's an overall improved Windows 7 so you can buy it without worrying.

9. caparica007

caparica007 Member

I think I might agree with what you say because pressing the windows button you can access everthing in your computer and if you don't want to press that button you can simplu pin a program to the taskbar.

10. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

This is an excellent approach to technology.

There is no reason to change or upgrade an operating system if if your actual software distribution works for you.

I'm with you about this :D

11. caparica007

caparica007 Member

I actually had to read your post twice to see if you were being ironic or not. :D But that's exactly what I think, if it is working, why change?

12. TainaF

TainaF New Member

For someone who is not computer savvy, windows 8 may be difficult to maneuver around. I would recommend that you watch a few videos on how to work around it. I know for myself it gets annoying sometimes with a few features getting in the way of me doing certain task. I had to uninstalled the new version of Skype and install the older one, I never looked back since.

13. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Member

Initially it may come with its share of hiccups and uncertainties just as is the case with anything new that we take on. At first i was so upset when i realized that my brand new laptop came pre programed with Win8 and i needed it off immediately. I took it to a technician friend and he advised me against this, saying i would eventually grow into it. I am getting more and more familiar with the accompanied features and i am finding it rather user friendly at this point.

14. hollysheats

hollysheats New Member

It isn't too confusing once you use it for a while. It's just like a smart phone only in a computer. I love my Windows 8 and do not think I will ever downgrade.

15. hiddenwolf

hiddenwolf New Member

I would suspect Windows 8 was created with the idea of having a touch screen with it. Every time I look at Windows 8 it reminds me of a tablet with a desktop feel. Personal I've tried to use it but just didn't like the layout. So far I'm sticking with Windows 7 until there is a more user friendly OS.

16. Beautyspin

Beautyspin New Member

Windows 8 is not difficult to understand. It is just a mess. I do have hopes on Windows 10 which will solve a lot of this mess. Metro is useful for tablets. It currently has no place on the laptop and desktop. Metro is for content consumers - those who use facebook, watch videos, write normal mails, play some trivial games etc., The desktop on the other hand is for content creators. For those who create stuff.

The power users feel that this metro is an intrusion and an unnecessary one at that (Believe me, when ever I get into Metro by mistake, I do not even let it load fully, I just close it). The fact that all Metro apps are currently full screen only just aggravates the issue. I keep doing something else while a file is saving or doing some operation without loosing focus where as I have to be in the Metro mode and I cannot load multiple apps in this mode so not so good. (I believe Windows 10 is addressing this).

The casual users need the start screen and not having it is a dampener for them. But all is not lost. Under the hood there are a lot of improvements. Startup and shutdown times are minimized. BSODs are pretty rare. updates work. Compatibility with drivers is good. So if you can get past the initial hiccups, this is a pretty good update.

17. missbishi

missbishi Member

I don't think that Windows 8 is hard to understand as such. It's just that it is very different to Windows 7 and it's predecessors so takes a bit of getting used to. Windows 10 is due out next year though so I would maybe recommend sticking with 7 until you get the opportunity to upgrade.

18. kenbrace

kenbrace New Member

I used a friend's laptop a while back that had Windows 8 and at first it drove me up the wall. I felt helpless and trapped. Eventually I started figuring it out though. Had to look stuff up online every now and then but I got the hang of it eventually. Just ordered a laptop the other day with Windows 8 and I'm glad I already have that experience on my back. I still think I like the Windows 7 start menu better though.

19. GearZ

GearZ Member

^ This. Windows 8 is a pile. However most of what makes it a steaming pile of, well, stuff is that unbelievably inane UI/UX on a conventional box (e.g., workstation, notebook, etc.). Fix said UI with 8.1 plus Classic Shell it is actually usable.