Learning to make android apps?

Discussion in 'Android' started by babyleans, Jul 11, 2014.

1. babyleans

babyleans New Member

Hello guys, i was wondering how long it would take to learn how to program android apps. Does it take long to learn java?

2. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

I actually have some tutorials on getting started in Android development posted online, you may want to search them up. You can make basic apps by using XML for screen layouts and a minimal amount of Java for activities (screens/pages). It's when you want to code a game or include well animated graphics and suchlike that things start to get really complicated. However, building a basic app for a website with buttons, scrollable pages and images, etc is not that difficult and is not much different to building a website.

g.b.shaw likes this.
  3. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Member

That's great! You know what? I'm also interested in developing apps but I just don't know where to start and I'm afraid that I'm not too technical for this. Your tutorials, do you have a link for them? I might need to take a look and see if my brain can handle it.

4. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

Yep, just getting started can seem a little daunting at first because before you can do anything you need to set up your development environment (i.e. the computer you will use for developing). If you want to develop on an Android device you can just download an app called AIDE (it's a lot easier!).

Before you even get started I recommend you read this so that you know what to expect:
    http://sparkster.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Not-Become-An-Android-App-Developer

To get started on the actual coding and learning how Android works see this article:
    http://sparkster.hubpages.com/hub/B...er-Getting-Started-In-Android-App-Development

g.b.shaw likes this.
  5. mairj23

mairj23 Member

I'm definitely going to check that out. I've always wondered about apps and how they're made. This is right down my alley. Thanks

6. Sparkster

Sparkster Member

Thanks. One of the reasons I first got a smartphone was because I wanted to learn how to create and develop apps and maybe make a career out of it. I seriously doubt that's going to happen now though. Whilst mobile apps are still hot, the market is becoming increasingly saturated and there are numerous new developers releasing their first app(s) every single day. Of course, there are also easier ways of creating apps by using other services but they are usually limited and often include their own advertising in your app(s).

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

I'm also interested in apps but only with the design because I don't have the luxury of time to do the coding (it's pretty difficult, hahahaaa). My idea is to have someone do the coding while I do the designing but the app would be my property. From my recent researches, there are fees to be paid in Google and Apple when you upload your app in the App Store. Is this correct?

8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

9. g.b.shaw

g.b.shaw New Member

I find Android apps absolutely fascinating, and would have loved to program one too, but as I dont even know Java, I suppose that is a tall dream. I console myself by saying, 'the apps world is saturated, anyway' (teeheehee).