Long Term Support?

Discussion in 'Ubuntu' started by danealegana, May 22, 2013.

1. danealegana

danealegana Member

I just got curious why Ubuntu never makes every version that they release a Long Term Support?

12.04 is LTS and while 13.04 is not?... Why?

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

From what I understand LTS is more stable and is business oriented. I have LTS on one of my servers just because I can't be bothered to constantly upgrade it. Plus the security support and patches are for as long as the term says, which is nice!

3. nightsparks

nightsparks Member

Since they release twice a year, that'd be a lot of LTS that they'd have to offer :p Like draalin said, LTS releases are aimed at running it in environments in offices, servers and the like, where doing an entire upgrade every 6 months isn't a viable options.

4. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

Well its because they want businesses to be using a certain version. If they didn't do that, they'd have multiple releases constantly being maintained and updated which would eventually take more effort put in than it would be worth. But when you just have the latest version and an LTS version, you don't have to worry about keeping 5 different versions updated, each with different features and with different amount if businesses running each one. With the current model things are just easier to maintain.