Must own applications/programs for a college student?

Discussion in 'Applications' started by themarksquared, May 22, 2013.

1. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

Good day, people of Draalin

Some of you might not know this, but I'll be attending college as a freshman in a month with accountancy as my course. I've heard so many negative things about the said course, like it's very hard, you might not have any friends anymore, and stuff like that.

With this, I would like to ask you, what are the must-have applications/programs that a person like me should have? I'm looking for apps which tackle on time management, scheduling, accounting, and overall, college.

Please, feel free to give recommendations. Thanks!

2. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

Well for an accountancy student, your main weapon would be a scientific calculator. You would mostly use that when solving problems in accounting. As for programs in your computer, excel would be the most important especially when making feasibility studies and thesis. You would also need PowerPoint and Word of course. Those are the main programs that you will need.

3. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I just took a financial systems class and I used excel a ton like lindbergh mentioned.

I looked at some different financial software that did calculations but it wasn't worth learning it for the amount of time I would use it.

But since you are going to school for Accountancy I'm sure you'll need more complex software. I'll look after to see if I can find what it was though.

4. Ariel

Ariel New Member

If you don't already have a scientific calculator from high school, you should buy a financial calculator which has built in formulas instead. Excel also has a lot of these formulas (NPV, time value of money, etc) to do assignments with, but it's not like you can take a laptop to an exam with you.

As far as scheduling and time management goes, I use Google Calendar (free) which is synced to my phone. I can input events on my phone or computer, and I get reminders from both.

5. MCally92

MCally92 New Member

I have a few recommendations for overall college apps that have helped me so far: Google Drive, Quizlet, Merriam-Webster Dictionary, and a good calculator app.

The dictionary is pretty self-explanatory, but Quizlet is this great little app that lets you quiz yourself for exam review, etc. Google Drive has been my savior, as you can access your excel sheets, documents, and presentations from you Google Drive right on your phone, which has saved my bacon more than one time.

Good luck in college, and most importantly: have fun! College is difficult and should be given your full attention to academics, but don't forget to enjoy yourself.

6. jesikat

jesikat New Member

myHomework is basically a student planner in an app. You can track all the homework you have to do as well as dates when tests and projects are due, and it reminds you so you won't forget. You can also keep your schedule in the app and it syncs perfectly to all other devices.

7. rosemaryzephyr

rosemaryzephyr New Member

This isn't accounting-specific, but Dropbox is a great overall college (and really overall life) app. It allows you to keep all your notes and assignments in the cloud, so they're backed up in case of hardware problems. Most importantly, you can access those files anywhere you have an internet connection - other computers, smartphones, etc. which can come in extremely handy.

Good luck!

8. kdlt

kdlt Member

Echoing Ariel to suggest just using Google Calendar. You can set alarms with it, have it send you reminder e-mails, and it syncs with most phones. If you're worried about your own budgeting for any reason, Mint.com is a great place to start. You can track your every purchase and make sure you're not overspending in college! I don't think they have an app for Windows phones, though, if that's something you need. Dropbox or Google Drive are great places to keep all of your assignments. I'm especially fond of Drive because if it's project work, you can easily share it with your classmates and they can communicate and edit it right on the page itself. They just need to have gmail accounts.

9. Pickpktlongshot

Pickpktlongshot New Member

Go to: http://ninite.com/

This is a great place to start for computer applications. It downloads and installs everything you check at once, which makes the process so much easier. I would strongly recommend (for college) getting OpenOffice. It is everything Microsoft Office is, but free.

Also, I second the DropBox suggestion. Nothing is worse than not backing up your senior thesis and then losing the entire thing in an instant. This happened to me, and I believe it was the worst day of my life.

10. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

Microsoft Office is the big one, but it's quite expensive. Open Office or Libre Office are some free alternatives. They're cross-compatible, but occasionally have issues.

I'll third the DropBox suggestion. It's really useful to be able to back up your documents on several computers and online.

If you happen to be on Windows 7, I find the Sticky Notes application to be very useful. It comes with Windows 7 and let's you keep notes on your Desktop. It's good to use for reminders of what you need to do that you see every time you start your computer.

11. PurpleGuardian

PurpleGuardian Member

Evernote. It's an online writing tool that saves all your notes to the cloud and you can access it from any computer or phone. You have to create an account but it has been so handy for me.

12. draalin

Is Evernote any different than using the document creator in Google Drive? If you have used it before.

13. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

I think Evernote is just a lot fancier. I haven't used document creator on Google Drive but I have used Evernote both on the PC and on my Android device. It's just a note taking app similar to Google Keep but it has a lot of features that could keep you busy.

14. rosemaryzephyr

I would say the biggest difference is its search ability. You can tag each note, organize them into different notebooks and put different notebooks into stacks. You can then search your entire Evernote database and it'll search your tags, but also search the content of notes, PDFs and even images.

Evernote also allows you to clip content from the web much more easily, so saving images, PDFs, quotes and articles is much easier than having to copy and paste into a Google doc. Google docs is mainly good for creating original documents and its collaborative functions.

15. daenerys

daenerys Member

If it were me, I'd get a good eReader of some sort, a torrent app then start pirating any college textbook I can. That industry is an insane ripoff and I'd love to stick it to them. Although, I'm curious if you could actually find every book you'd need online even now, something tells me it's still probably pretty tough. You know there'd be a couple jerk teachers who want you to purchase the obscure book THEY wrote, haha.

16. rosemaryzephyr

One thing I forgot to mention is that before you start buying expensive "academic"-type apps, many colleges will give you a discount on software that you can download through the university system. Some colleges provide MS Office for free, for example. Other large colleges that have strong design/advertising programs will even offer free/discounts on Adobe Creative Suite software (probably not needed for your accounting degree, but useful if you're into photography or graphic design).

17. PurpleGuardian

PurpleGuardian Member

Never used it before. But I highly recommend EverNote, you don't really have much to lose. It is free and can be synced as many times as you want. I use it every single day.

18. draalin

Ah I see, I might try it out sometime.

19. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

Damn, these are a lot of helpful suggestions! Thank you very much guys! I'm sure this will be very helpful for me during college. With that, I have compiled a list of your suggestions for my reference and for those who needs help on which apps they should get for college.

• Microsoft Office apps like Powerpoint, Word and Excel.
    • Google Calendar for scheduling and time management.
    • Google Drive and Dropbox for cloud storage of files.
    • Merriam Dictionary for word searching.
    • Quizlet for some little reviewing and self-quizzing.
    • myHomework as a planner.
    • Mint.com for budgeting and tracking your spendings.
    • Evernote for online note taking.
    • A good e-reader for reading reference materials on the internet.
    Thanks a ton, guys!

EdenSB and PurpleGuardian like this.
  20. daenerys

daenerys Member

No no! It was supposed to be for pirating your school books! Well, I suppose you could use it for that too. I recommend an eInk screen, unless you want to spring for a retina iPad, those are the best readers in my opinion. I would imagine you could get an old Nook or something pretty cheap now.

I second the advice about Mint, it's a really cool service.