Must own applications/programs for a college student?

Discussion in 'Applications' started by themarksquared, May 22, 2013.

1. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

Four out of the five professors at my girlfriend's university do this! It annoys her since they're all pretty terrible books which don't explain things very well compared to other books in the field.

themarksquared, that's a very nice list.

From the comments that everyone is making, I suddenly want an eReader. I've already graduated though.

2. daenerys

daenerys Member

That doesn't surprise me. I mean, I guess it makes sense to some degree actually. Get this, I once had an art professor that recommended we buy some history of technology in art book just because there was like one page in it that was about him. I'm sure that was purely a coincidence though... and not him wanting to look like a big deal.

Sometimes though, you get awesome professor though that just xeroxes pages for you and gives them out.

I would always try to hold out as long as possible and not buy books, and in smaller classes sometimes I had embarrassing moments where I'd have to share with other people. I did this with art supplies too haha. The thing is, sometimes they get carried away though, and list a million things on the syllabus then you discover you didn't even need it all! I was a poor college student, I can't go blow $80 on a book I might need. I would always check the library for the books first too, occasionally you could find them.

3. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

I'm not so sure if this would be possible for me. Based on what I've heard, the professors in my future college will NOT be allowing the students to use laptops or tablets during classes. It freaking sucks. I guess I will have to stick with the heavy books that are slowly killing my backside.

4. daenerys

daenerys Member

Oh, that does suck. I'm sure they do that just so you can't pirate the books. I guess it makes sense, it'd be annoying being a professor and everyone is looking at their computers, haha.

5. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

You can likely get the full Microsoft Office suite from your college book store dirt cheap. I think they sell it to you for like $10-$15 if you have a current student ID. You can also get the Adobe applications for a similar price, which I would suggest snapping up asap, since Adobe is going to be switching over to a cloud based format and start charging monthly fees.

In addition to the programs listed already, I would also suggest checking out Tableau. It's a data visualization/business intelligence tool that is pretty incredible.

6. Seiryu

Seiryu Member

I've recommended it before but Puush from www.puush.me is a great screenshot tool that I use on a daily basis to help me share clippings from whatever I'm doing with my friends. I use it a lot in my major - Computer Science - as I sometimes want to share small snippets of my code, but not the entire file, and I want to preserve the formatting.

7. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

Late response here, but I would highly recommend you use Bandicam. I needed it for so many science projects and stuff like that that I had to record on my computer. Very useful overall if you want to make a video, record a tutorial, or just record yourself playing a game.

8. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

I love puush. My friend showed it to me and I have yet to go 3 hours without using it. It should honestly come with windows, it makes life so much easier when teaching someone how to do something or just messing around and screencapping.

9. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

Also, if you cannot get Microsoft Office products, you could always just get a free office software, like LibreOffice for example. They're not perfect, but as long as you're not doing something so extreme in Powerpoint, you won't have problems.

10. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

It will depend on your course at college. There are different applications for every course out there. The above suggestions I think they are enough to get you started on the correct path.

11. NiaIsabelle

NiaIsabelle New Member

I would say that you would need to get some books related to your course. Buy a good scientific calculator, get an e-book or a tablet. Purchase and install the package of Microsoft Office, the latest version. You can use Evernote when taking notes. Buy also a small notebook just for important list of things to do. Mint too, so you can budget your money. You can also download some application of your tablet or phone related to your course.

12. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

You should be taking advantages of Adobe's student pricing scheme. Its friggin amazing. I wish that I was still in college so that I could get Photoshop on the cheap. Please, check it out.

13. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayer New Member

Well you'll need a calculator app that's for sure. Also it depends on your needs really, you won't find out what apps you'll be needing until you actually need them. But I would recommend you downloading some kind of note taking app or sound recorder, also a scheduler would help you out and remind whenever something is due.

14. maniacmaran

maniacmaran New Member

I'm going to come into this with a different answer. Since you are a college student, you can do this on your free time. Okay so there is this app called "APP JOY" all that you do is download, install, and run apps and you earn points for those apps that you download, install and run.

The points can later be redeemed for paypal cash or gift cards. It's vey easy and simple to use. I mean all that you is download and run apps. You can even delete the app after you install and run it. You don't have to keep the apps, as long as you get your points and you will.

So I thought that this would come in handy for you. It's easy and free. If you decide to use it, or if anyone on here decides to use this application, my code is t6206176. Put it this code after you have reached 15k and then you and I both get 2500 points or manas as they call them. Best of luck in college! :)

15. wowtgp

wowtgp New Member

If you are a student and not goo with English, you must own Dictionary.com's app which will help you out with words everytime you are puzzled.

16. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Member

There's one free application that I would suggest, and I think this would help you out a lot. It's called WPS Office and you can create, open, and edit word, powerpoint, and PDF files in it. This is something that might help you in general, as a college student.