MySQL vs NoSQL

Discussion in 'Databases' started by jukiveins, Apr 24, 2014.

1. jukiveins

jukiveins New Member

I'm looking to store a lot of data and I was wondering which of those two will offer me the best speed? I've read NoSQL is relatively new and its advantages lie in performance on low-cost hardware, but MySQL has wider support if there are problems. There aren't many resources available on NoSQL, except documentation. What do you think?

2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

MySQL has been always over-rated in regard the many advantages this type of databases have, same as flat text files data storage is being under-rated.

It's not true that MySQL is all that good it should be, particularly the current version, as it is either that bad the system that processes information based on flat text files.

However there are many other options in between with good performance, including SQlite and XML file storage, but decision on what is the best depend on many factors related to the project you could have in mind.

3. CallFreq

CallFreq New Member

Well, NoSQL scales and SQL scales. It depends if you have complex and strict needs on relational behavior or if it is rather weak.
    For example, Twitter uses NoSQL. Twitter has very few links between his tables: users <-> tweets are linked, and sometimes tweets references other tweets. That's all. There's not much other relations.
    This kind of relations is easy to handle while programming thereafter. When the user delete the account, you delete the tweet, and at runtime, if any tweet reference any non-existent tweet, you do a fallback behavior that works correctly - for example, you show an error message, or you simply show the tweet without its context.

Now, if you have more complex relationships in mind, then, SQL is perhaps better your friend. SQL is like doing a lot, a lot of things, but also you have less control. NoSQL is just basically handling the file format to not be fragmented, and handle the index construction so you can find any entry quick without doing a long search. Basically, you let skilled people handle the disk file, you handle the data. That's NoSQL philosophy.