Need help speeding up Dell Inspiron 8600 with windows xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by momma2_4bratz, Jan 11, 2014.

1. momma2_4bratz

momma2_4bratz New Member

Hey every one I need some help and hoping this is the right thread to ask it under that will get me the most help. I was browsing through craigslist and cam across an ad for a working Dell Inspiron 8600 for 25 bucks and it turned out they lived only a 3 minute drive from me. So I figured hell 25 bucks for a working laptop is one hell of a deal and my oldest daughter is turning ten on the 20th of this month and would make a great first laptop for a girl on her tenth birthday. I mean the kid is only turning ten so she does not need anything fancy. I spoke to the woman and told her about thinking of getting it for my kids birthday. The woman said well if you are giving it to your daughter I would rather sell it to you for $10.00 because it is very slow. I thought for a second and decided it didn't matter how slow it was for 10 bucks I would take it. So to get to the point I bought it brought it home and found that it really was slow. I checked some basics that I know how to do and that was defraged the hard drive and put in some updates. I found that this particular version of the dell inspiron 8600 came with an 80 gb hard drive and only 512 mb of ram. So my first assumption was well with all of the updates that have been sent to the windows xp operating system over the years that 512 mb was not enough ram to run xp as smoothly as it did back then let alone browse the internet. This computer has a 1.59 ghz intel pentium single core processor which I know was never s super fast processor but I do know for a fact that its fast enough to still be a usable computer to this day. So with all of that being said I first upgraded the ram from 512 gb to 2 gb of ram. So memory is no longer an issue that would slow the computer down. Adding the ram did speed it up but not by much. When I say slow I mean like really really really slow. It is not normal and something else likely needs to be done. I added anti virus avg and scanned it and it came up clean. I need some help on how to get this computer running the way it should be and I do not know how to do it. Please help me out my daughters birthday is about a week away, thanks :)

2. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

Personally I wouldn't waste your money on upgrading the RAM or HDD it's not worth the money your stuck with the CPU since it's a laptop personally I would go with something modern, but if that is more then your willing to spend you can always check ebay sometimes they have some good deals on some decent spec systems.

3. momma2_4bratz

momma2_4bratz New Member

Well I did end up buying two one gig chips of ram and put them in the computer and the ram only cost me 33 bucks for both. I ended up re installing windows and redid the entire computer. Got all the updates and I have to say for a total of 43 dollars for a working computer was a hell of a deal. It is great for a ten year old. She is able to play her American girl game on it and watch youtube and write her stories. I honestly did not think I would be able to get that computer running good but I am telling you that computer is like a different computer. I am sure the ram made a huge difference but I really think what did it was cleaning the computer out. That thing had SOOO many registry errors and was completely messed up. I will eventually spend more on a good laptop for her but I needed to make sure that she was going to take good care of one before forking over the money for an expensive one. Or I might just get me a new computer and give her mine lol. My computer is pretty fast so I am sure she would love it. Thank you for the suggestion though I appreciate it. You are the only one who even replied