Nintendo DS Lite and network security

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RedNeckJiuJitsu, Feb 3, 2014.

1. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsu New Member

I have a Nintendo DSL that I used to use online with my old Netgear router. When we got internet put into the house, the modem they gave us has a built in router. The wireless works fine with everything else. My problem arises from the security key. The NDSL uses an older encryption than was set up on the router (a string of random letters and numbers as opposed to the chosen passphrase of chosen letters and numbers). Without resetting the security on the router, there's no way that I can use the NDSL online without adding the old router back in, is there?

2. thebeardlesswonder

thebeardlesswonder New Member

I believe that your DSL only supports WEP encryption. Your new router is probably utilizing WPA or WPA2 which your DSL will not connect to. You possibly can change the settings in your old router to act like a wireless access point and not a router. You could then connect the old router to your new router using it just as a WEP access point for your DSL. If you do this I would suggest enforcing a MAC filter for only the DSL so no other clients can connect to the WEP access point.