Orcale VM VirtualBox

Discussion in 'Applications' started by draalin, May 10, 2013.

1. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I love Orcale's VM VirtualBox, I dunno if anyone here has used it but its pretty damn lightweight unlike VMware's WorkStartion.

You can find it here https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

For those who don't know what a virtual machine is, its essentially a way to emulate a real world computer through a closed environment on your computer. Essentially its sitting in an application and you can install stuff on it, turn it off or do whatever without doing anything to your host computer.

If you do mess around with it, make sure you have some hard drive space as it can take up a bit of room depending on what type of operating system and how big you want the drive to be on the virtual machine!

2. Nilly

Nilly New Member

I love it too! It is free and it is very easy to use. I like it better than VMware's WorkStation. VMware Workstation is not free and it is slower. VMware might have more function but VirtualBox supports more OS and it is easier to use.

3. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

I have never used VMWare Workstation before but I do use Oracle's VirtualBox. I use it on a daily basis. I have many virtual machines with different operating systems. I have a few linux flavors and a couple of Windows too.

4. Nabs Hamid

Nabs Hamid Member

I did use this before for multi-accounting on a game. It's pretty decent. I'd recommend it to anyone with at least 8GB of RAM. This does make your computer do some work :)

5. fermlour

fermlour Member

You know with this program it is possible for example copying text from my computer to the vm? is that I use one that is not possible, I have to upload to dropbox and then download

6. draalin

I think you need to install the guest addon if you want to copy across screens.

7. fermlour

fermlour Member

Where can I find this addon? it gave me a lot of way.

8. draalin

Should be in the top menu options of the Virtual Machine.

9. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

It has to be my favourite. From the start it's amazing, it accurately guesses what OS you're trying to install and changes settings accordingly. This alone is awesome. What else is awesome is that it's easily installable on Windows or Linux. Cross platform programs make me very happy. I think one of the best things is that it supports Mac OSX. That's just awesome.