Origin (EA)

Discussion in 'Applications' started by Ariel, May 29, 2013.

1. Ariel

Ariel New Member

I currently use Steam and it's great and I love the sales... but there are certain EA exclusive games that are only available on Origin.

I hear a lot of horror stories about its customer service, Origin double charging people on purchases and spyware.

I was wondering if it was worth it to install the program for only a couple games.

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I used Origin once, when Battlefield 3 came out. I ended up getting a refund for it before it came out since I didn't like it and they didn't hassle me at all.

The spyware though is another issue.

3. ozadin

ozadin Member

Origin is a really shady company. I've heard both good and bad, but mostly bad. I personally like Steam better, and don't feel like signing up for another website for just one or two games that are discounted, especially if they're not trusted.

4. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

I'm pretty amazed at this. I've heard of a few people getting refunds when the game didn't work for them (which is already above and beyond, since it's basically buyer beware and make sure your system can handle it for games - unless it's a fault with the game), but never just because someone didn't like it.

I hear a lot of hate towards Origin, but I don't mind it. I've got an Origin account for the exclusives such as Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 and there are some good deals occasionally, like Fifa 13 for $5 recently.

I definitely prefer Steam due to the community features, but I don't have any problems with Origin. That said; I've never heard anything about this spyware issue.

5. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

I only got Origin for Battlefield 3, FIFA 13, and Sim City. Unfortunately, those are some of my favorite games so I guess I'll have to stick with the platform. Honestly, it's not that bad, but I find it to be quite slow. In addition to that, the community features lack when compared to Steam.

6. shloka

shloka New Member

I purchased FIFA 13 through origin and I have to say it did give me good amount of trouble. I dont have a 24/7 access to internet to when I first tried to play the game in offline mode, the game minimised and the origin sign-in popped out and asked me to sign-in. I had to look for online help and it took me around half an hour to sort it out.

7. rashidckk

rashidckk Member

I was thinking to tryout origin. I have changed my decision, thanks for creating this thread. I don't want to be a customer with horror experiences.

8. EZpwnage

EZpwnage New Member

Don't download Origin if you're wary about spyware and viruses- alternatively, you can get an antivirus program. Avast! is a free program that works especially well in this case. I have an Origin account but I've never downloaded the actual software- too risky.

9. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

I never used it, but I would not recommend trying it I have heard horror stories of people using Origin also being billed multiple times and majority of them took awhile to get their refund use it at your own risk.

10. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

It has been four months ever since I answered in this thread. A lot has changed with Steam. New profile layout, new community features and such. Origin? Not much has changed for the young guy. Although I'm still using it for Battlefield 4.

11. Haleigh

Haleigh New Member

I downloaded Origin just for Sims 3, and I haven't had any problems with it at all. The few questions I've had their support team addressed quickly and they were very friendly. I say go for it. :)

12. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

Agree with you and up to date is still just the same with this company, while Steam keeps evolving and it's noticeable.