Playonlinux or Wine?

Discussion in 'Ubuntu' started by danealegana, May 6, 2013.

1. danealegana

danealegana Member

I am aware about Playonlinux being focused mainly on gaming and it is also based in wine. Since, I already have wine installed on Ubuntu 10.04, do I still need to install playonlinux or just install games through wine?
    If I install it playonlinux will there be any conflict with wine?

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I believe Playonlinux is a front end for wine? I would think you need to install games through Playonlinux. This is just from what I have read online about it before, I am not 100% on this though.

3. danealegana

danealegana Member

I tried Playonlinux after testing Asterisk on your other thread and I cant get the games installed, maybe I have misconfigured something so I just removed it and used Wine and it works perfectly. I installed and played Dota on Warcraft III and it works perfectly but I had to exit the game just to create a new one.

4. draalin

Damn Warcraft 3!?!? I wasn't sure if Blizzard even had servers running for that still! Those were the days, I hope they release a Warcraft 4 or something in the future since I don't enjoy Starcraft 2 that much. Probably because I'm terrible at macro though my micro is pretty good.

5. danealegana

danealegana Member

Yeah! Warcraft 3! I also don't know if Blizzards servers for the game are still running.

Basically my only purpose for this is because of DOTA. And I just cant reformat my other PC running on Ubuntu just for DOTA. I have some friends come every weekends just to play Dota. Why not online? Its better to play amongst ourselves while partying and getting drunk! :)

6. draalin

Have you tried Dota2 on steam? It's pretty good! Dunno if you have seen the 1 million dollar tournaments they have, crazy stuff.

7. danealegana

danealegana Member

Yeah, I have tried it and got a beta key from alienware site before but never enjoyed it much and most of my friends were still onto the Dota map on Warcraft 3. Probably we just have not explored much of the buy functions and options because we are really having a hard time learning to navigate it and we opt to have fun at once. :)

8. draalin

Should give it a try again, they made it really friendly for new players.

9. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

PlayonLinux has always had a weird setup for me. I've never been able to get it working really. WINE on the other hand has gotten whatever program I need working up and running 9/10 times. The only game I play through WINE at the moment is classic Counter Strike 1.6, and the performance is pretty good, even on my integrated HD 4000 graphics card.