Print screen

Discussion in 'Applications' started by fermlour, May 19, 2013.

1. fermlour

fermlour Member

Hello friends, I have a toshiba laptop but it happens that my keyboard has a print screen button spoiled!
    is there any way to print screen without using the virtual keyboard?

2. Nabs Hamid

Nabs Hamid Member

Yes, I believe ctrl + p should do it.

Otherwise, download a screenshot image tool such as gyazo.
    http://gyazo.com/

3. fermlour

fermlour Member

ctrl + p does not work because if is in a website , he will print the page.
    I will test this program, thank you.

4. themarksquared

themarksquared Member

Like what Nabs Hamid said, there are free programs which can perform screenshots out on the internet. One of those is gyazo, and I can vouch for that. I've used that before due to the same reason that my print screen button got soiled. It's simple and easy to use!

5. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

Download Wisdom-soft screen Hunter. It has a lot of options to capture your screen. You could capture the active window only, you could capture a rectangular area of your choice, and you could capture the entire screen. And, of course, it is free. You could download the software at Cnet.

6. Ariel

Ariel New Member

I have Snipping Tool that comes packaged with Windows 7. Check to see if you have it.

I actually prefer using it to print screen because I can just crop a portion of the screen and I can save it directly instead of having to open up Paint to save.

nightsparks and draalin like this.
  7. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I completely forgot about the snipping tool!

It's nice just wish you could take screenshots that auto crop like the "alt+print screen" function does.

8. DaveT

DaveT New Member

I have a firefox extension called Pixlr Grabber that will do the job for websites. It's handy because you can grab the entire web page (including the bits you can't see), or grab just the visible area or even select a section of the page. You can then save it or copy it to the clipboard - also you can edit it at Pixlr.com but you don't have to if you just want to use it or save it on your PC.

Link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/pixlr-grabber/

9. fermlour

fermlour Member

I had no idea of the existence of the Snipping Tool, but now I use and is very good and fast.

10. rage35

rage35 Member

Good to know that. I actually don't know about this tool. I usually take screenshots and then crop it in Paint and then save. It takes a bit long process. With this, it will really help me to take screenshots of a certain page that I want to save. Is it only for Windows 7 right? Is there a way to have that tool? I am currently using old version of Windows which is XP, unfortunately. lol

11. Ariel

Ariel New Member

Snipping Tool only comes packaged with Windows Vista, 7 and 8. Somebody made an open source XP version (called XP Snipping Tool). It looks like it does almost the same thing. But I've never used it so I can't comment on how well it works.

12. EdenSB

EdenSB Member

While I recommend using the Snipping Tool if you have access to it or a separate piece of software, you can actually remap the key. KeyTweak is really good. You can easily change a usually unused key - such as Home to do Print Screen.

My Esc key on my old keyboard was broken, so I used - on the Num Pad section as Esc for a while.

13. Protojunkie

Protojunkie Member

Remaping the keyboard sounds like a clever solution. Snipping tool comes very handy but nothing like the true Print Screen command to take a screenshot.

14. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

I cannot believe I had never heard of the Snipping Tool until now, lol. All these years I've been downloading dedicated apps to do stuff like this. Thank you to all of you who suggested this.

Regarding your Print Screen key, is it physically damaged or just stuck? You can pretty easily pop off the keys on most keyboards to clean them off and then put them back on.

15. Seiryu

Seiryu Member

If I could recommend an alternative, I'd recommend puush.me, a free screen capturing application that allows multiple modes of capture ranging from window-selection to custom selection. All screenshots taken are immediately uploaded to your own private online album and you're given a direct link to the screenshot. It's great for me at least as I tend to want to share snippets of what I'm seeing with friends quickly, and in terms of speed, I haven't encountered much that tops puush.

16. NicheGuy

NicheGuy New Member

I use Jing and it's perfect. It stays available at the top of your desktop for quick and convenient use.

JING by TechSmith

17. chie

chie Member

No need to download a third-party application to do this. Just use the On-Screen keyboard.
    Windows XP
    Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > On-Screen Keyboard

Windows 7
    Start (Windows Logo) > All Programs > Accessories > Ease of Access > On-Screen Keyboard

RUN Dialog
    Type "osk"