Recommended Distro?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by samkostka, Dec 23, 2013.

1. samkostka

samkostka New Member

Hi, I'm not new to linux, but it's been a while since I used it. I'm going to be building a PC in about a week, and I want to dual-boot Linux along with Windows 8. My question is, what Distro should I choose? I have used Ubuntu in the past, ending with 12.04. I had an Intel GMA, so I had to manually install GPU drivers and fix various issue with sound, so I know the ins and outs of Linux to some degree. However, I'm not ready to try setting up something like Arch or Gentoo, I would just get lost so quickly. What's a good Distro somewhere in between?

2. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I would just stick to Ubuntu, even though you had some issues installing drivers with it. I'm sure others would even bring more problems.

3. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat Member

For beginners, definitely use elementaryOS (Luna). It's one of the least buggiest Ubuntu distros out there. With a bit of tweaking it looks amazing. Here's my desktop:[​IMG]

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Member

Looks nice!

I think to have said this before. I like CentOS as server distro, and sometimes wondering it could be a good options to install onto a PC, but actually the above screenshot shows that there might be other distros that are worth give them a go.

5. MyNameIsAlex

MyNameIsAlex New Member

I use Crunchbang (#!) on my netbook (which also has a GMA chipset) and have encountered zero issues since switching about 3 months ago. It's ridiculously lightweight, it recognized all my hardware immediately, and it's pretty easy on the eyes too. It comes with a pretty decent application suite too.

Link http://crunchbang.org/