Recording software?

Discussion in 'Applications' started by ozadin, Jun 16, 2013.

1. ozadin

ozadin Member

Does anyone record games or anything on their screen? I would like someone to recommend one since I currently use Fraps, and want an upgrade. I've heard Camtasia and some other ones are pretty good alternatives to Fraps, but how is it compared to it?

2. Nabs Hamid

Nabs Hamid Member

Camtasia is very good. I also sometimes use Hypercam.

vcx _vgg likes this.
  3. vcx _vgg

vcx _vgg New Member

If you don't like Fraps I would also suggest Camtasia. Though I know Camtasia uses more memory than Fraps does, it still makes a good alternative for those who like more features (such as mouse focus).

4. ozadin

ozadin Member

Seems like Camtasia is a winner at the moment. I've been also looking at Dxtory, looks pretty solid compared to Fraps, and there's not that much of a difference. I might try this first, followed by Camtasia if I don't like it.

5. altrouge

altrouge Member

I use Fraps but since you want to switch, I'll also suggest Dxtory and Bandicam. Camtasia's good as well.

6. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

I have Camtasia installed in my netbook and it's a very reliable program that could record anything that's happening onscreen. The only problem? It gets slow when recording video games when you are using an underpowered device. As for a screen recorder for your mobile device, you could try out ASC screen recorder. The only problem is that it doesn't record the audio.

7. draalin

draalin The Boss Staff Member

I have never used Camtasia before but my experience with Fraps has always been fine. I mean it is a lightweight application, pretty basic. I guess it depends on the type of recordings you want to do, and if you want to do any "live" broadcasting.

If you are interested in streaming and recording xsplit is a good choice.

8. ozadin

ozadin Member

I don't think I have a good enough computer to stream, especially in 720 or 1080p. As for Fraps, I'm looking for an alternative since it takes up so much space after recording. 30 minute footage is at least 60 GB. I wish there was some way to compress it while recording. My 1 TB hard drive is almost full just because of recording one game for about 2-3 hours.

9. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

I use Bandicam, it's great. Fraps takes up so much HDD space that it's insane. On the other hand, Bandicam takes up much less. Also, I have had issues with Fraps not recording some parts of my screen etc. Which I have never had with Bandicam.

10. lindbergh

lindbergh Love's Android!

Gulp! 60 GB for a 30 minute video??? That's insane! the hardrive of my netbook only has 8GB left and using this app would definitely consume all of it. I wonder what are the advantages of using Fraps as I hear some people are still using the software.

11. ozadin

ozadin Member

Everything about Fraps is pretty good other than the size limit of the recordings, that's pretty much default for all recording software. Dxtory is a great alternative since you can set different sound outputs, very handy at times.

12. mvpmkpr

mvpmkpr Member

Honestly, in terms of recording software, Fraps kinda sucks. It's expensive, takes up a ton of space, and there isn't much customization and some programs are incompatible (at least the last time I used it)

13. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

There is one called Debut that I used to use. It was pretty straightforward and I think they also offer a limited freeware version too. However for some reason, I can no longer get it to record any audio. I checked all of my settings in my control panel and it just won't work anymore. It's similar to Camtasia.

14. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

If you don't like Fraps you can try PlayClaw it has a lot of extra features and video files are slightly smaller I would recommend giving it a try before Camtasia because I have had a lot of issues with Camtasia such as program stops running, corrupted videos, and missing audio.

15. scottman

scottman New Member

Honestly I just use quicktime screen recorder. It's the simplest and completely no hassle.

16. ENO1986

ENO1986 Member

I never tried using quicktime screen recorder I know that their media player is quite good but I will have to look into them how is the video quality and sound.