Remote Access, anyone else use this?

Discussion in 'Applications' started by outdoorgal, Apr 16, 2014.

1. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Member

I recently downloaded Teamviewer in order to help my sister with her computer problems. I have a good, basic understanding of pc's and I can help her with a lot of things regarding security, and software issues.

I love this program, and she is ecstatic because she is saving 50 to 100 dollars everytime something goes wrong with her computer. All I have to do is ask her for a password, she sends it, and I hook right into her computer. She lives about 100 miles from me. She is also timid, and finds it extremely hard to call techs on the phone to help her. So such a lack of stress with me (family) helping her.

First, I want anyone interested to know, I am the first one to say "sis, I don't know how to do that". I do think that Remote Access is about the coolest thing I've found to use in a long time!

Does anyone else help family members or friends by using Remote Access to connect to the other computer? I'm sure there are many negatives to watch out for, and I did read quite a bit before installing the program. But open to anyone's opinions, advice, feedback.

I did try one other program first, and I didn't find it as user friendly. I had to find something where my sister did NOT have to do anything. With TV all she has to do is open it, and give me a new password each time.

2. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

I use Putty with a Raspberry Pi. I think that that is the same thing!. I love using SSH and it is very useful when working on projects with my Raspberry Pi.

3. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Member

Hi User,

Glad to see someone else out there has discovered a Remote Access program. My sister would be lost without my help, in fact, everything I helped her with before was totally stressful because she can't take direction over the phone because of her hearing problem, and when I tried just send her instruction it was so hard for her to follow those as well. She is getting up in years, and mostly, she is afraid she will "break" her 'puter.

Anyway, I haven't heard of Rasberry PI, but if you can connect with another computer, and run around fixing things in the files/programs, then it is most likely Remote Access. I know many people use RA to access their home computers when they are on the road, and need something off them, a file etc. The RA is for meetings between groups as well. Love it!! Denise:)